No, that’s not a mistake. I am obsessed with avocados, and not the typical “Oh I love it on my salad and I love some chips and guac…” No what I’m talking about is a full blown reliance on avocados. If I don’t see them on my counter things don’t feel quite right. I eat them for breakfast, throw them in smoothies, put them in egg salad, eat them straight up, and sometimes find excuses to add them to dessert. I just got back from a delightful vacation to Mexico. Guess what I ate?
When I came back from Mexico I felt something I had never felt before: I’d had enough avocados for a while. It’s true. At this point my body was approximately 85% guacamole, and yet sitting on my counter when I returned were a few perfectly ripe avos, wondering what I was planning on doing with them. Obviously I would never let those beauties go to waste, so I figured with the amount of intense sun I had gotten it only made sense to do one thing: an avocado beauty treatment.
And may I introduce to you, the avocado honey oatmeal mask. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1/2 ripe avocado, pit removed
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Squeeze of fresh lemon
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup rolled oats (be sure to use gluten-free if you are sensitive or allergic)
These ingredients are like the perfect storm of skin nourishment. The avocado is ultra moisturizing; as you know it’s loaded with healthy fats, but also antioxidants such as vitamin E which keeps the skin smooth and supple. The apple cider vinegar reduces inflammation and is absolutely powerful against breakouts (if you tend to breakout try drinking 2 tablespoons daily dilute in water – you will not regret this!) The fresh lemon juice is alkalinizing, is also anti-inflammatory, and can help brighten skin and decrease dark spots. Honey is like a miracle treatment when it comes to skin. It’s antibacterial, antimicrobial and outrageously healing and moisturizing. They even keep medicinal honey on hand at hospitals, fun fact right? Oatmeal has long been used to soothe irritated skin, but also acts as a gentle exfoliant. Okay are you convinced? Ready to get glowing?
- Mash the avocado, apple cider vinegar, lemon and honey together until well combined. You can even blend this to make it a nice creamy consistency. Add in rolled oats and mix (or blend) until well combined.
- Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes – 1 hour to get cool. Remove from the fridge, slather on that face and relax. No seriously R-E-L-A-X. How often do we do that?
- Bonus points – put honey all over your lips! this is an extra moisturizing trick to treat dry lips, and hello, it’s delicious.
- After about 20-30 minutes rinse off with warm water. Follow up with your favorite oil or moisturizer.
- Kick back, relax and lick your face when your done. Really ready to feel glowing? Start with the inside out. We’re kicking off Reset: 14 in just one week, materials going out this Friday, June 6th. Your skin is one of the truest reflections of what is going on inside, so give your body a break and join us as hit the reset button.~ Megan