In Ask the PN team

Hello from MN

M
Michebella
2 years ago

Hi everyone! My name is Michelle and I'm from St. Paul. I have two little boys - 3 and 3 months old - so we're just learning the ropes with two kiddos. I am excited to get back on track with healthy eating after the holidays and am happy to have some good guidelines to follow when I'm feeling busy in other parts of my life. I think the challenge for me will be time (to prep etc.), but I'm excited to try new recipes etc. As a nursing mom, I wonder if there are any special guidelines that I might consider when doing the program?

T
TanyaPN
2 years ago

Hi Michelle and welcome! So fun to have you and the gang here! There are so many great recipes in the packet - can't wait for you to try some out. I also wanted to pass along this blog we wrote recently that has some quick, easy dinners that we often rely on...we're all about quick and easy when it comes to meal time [especially with two teeny boppers!] http://www.modernparentsmessykids.com/2016/01/dinners-nutritionists-eat-on-busy-weeknights.html Here is a great thread on breastfeeding - you are in great hands here. https://coursebeyond.com/course/212/discussions/post/11448/ Above all else, please keep us in the loop. If you notice your supply dropping at all, let us know. We're here to help!

C
carolyn
2 years ago

Michelle, i'm so glad you asked that question! I also have a 3.5 & 11 mo old and am still breastfeeding, so was wondering that too. all we eat here is gluten & cheese (and lots of sweet potatoes), so this will be a challenge. i will say that both my kids loved the chia pudding for a breakfast treat, so try that with your 3 yr old. good luck!

C
ClaireHeffron
2 years ago

Just chiming in as another nursing mama! Glad to hear I'm not alone! I have a 3-month-old and feel like we finally just hit our stride with our nursing routine - definitely don't want to mess things up w milk supply! I'm focusing on eating frequently throughout the day and, as advised by Megan, staying hydrated and getting lots of healthy fats. Hooray for healthy moms! :)

M
Mhoroshak
2 years ago

Just hopping on this post to say hi as another nursing mom! My little man is 3 months and we have a 2 1/2 year old as well. Great to know there are so many of us here!

K
kristan
2 years ago

Chiming in as another nursing mom. Following this thread, and happy to know there are so many of us here!

K
kristan
2 years ago

@michebella, I'm also in St. Paul, too!

M
Michebella
2 years ago

So cool, Kristan. Nice to know we are in the same boat with nursing and in the same city! For the PN folks, I am noticing a dip in my milk supply would could relate to returning to work maybe or diet changes. Last night I decided to have some cheese to help with that (I'm not sure that it will help or not). Do you have other suggestions that relate to nutrition and milk supply? On another note, I tend to be all or nothing when is coming to nutrition, which really isn't helpful for me in the long run. Since we have a new baby at home, I'm working to frame this experience as one of learning new things about foods that I like, how to prep them in yummy ways and how to problem solve when difficulties come up, as opposed to doing the program 100% "right". I need to work on what is doable for me and not "perfection." This is a challenge for me, but I really want to focus on all of the positive changes in my diet as opposed to what didn't go 100% perfectly. I'm sure this is one of the keys to sustainable changes. :)

Anna
2 years ago

Hi breastfeeders!! You've probably heard this here already, but baby comes first and we totally support that. As new, nursing moms the last thing you need is any added stress, so please adjust this program to your needs. Soak up all of the great information, but only DO what works for you and know that you'll have plenty of time to get more strict with yourselves later (this material is yours forever :)). My suggestion would be to try adding in lactation cookies - I have recently heard such amazing feedback regarding their ability to increase milk supply. Oats, flax seeds and brewer's yeast are all fantastic for your milk supply and these cookies have all three :) I searched for a recipe that was MOST PN approved and came up with this: http://detoxinista.com/2014/08/vegan-lactation-cookies-gluten-free/ You could absolutely half the sugar, since it's just for sweetness or sub it out for maple syrup. Also, I would go for the brewer's yeast rather than the nutritional yeast both for flavor and because brewer's yeast is said to be more helpful. Cookies aside, add ground flax seeds to your morning oats, to salads, and to anything else you can :) As always, water, water, water, and teas like fenugreek or mothers milk are also great. Let us know if the cookies work, we'd love some PN feedback!

M
Michebella
2 years ago

Thank you so much for this helpful and thoughtful reply.

Anna
2 years ago

you bet!

K
kristan
2 years ago

Agreed, thanks for the advice! I also noticed a dip in supply after I started, so I upped my water intake, added a pumping session and started drinking more nursing tea, which helped. Making those cookies this weekend, too! Would carob chips be a better choice than chocolate?

Anna
2 years ago

Whichever you prefer! If you go with chocolate, try to use 70% or more cocao.

C
ClaireHeffron
2 years ago

Thank you SO much for the response and recipe! Off to the store to get what I need for the cookies! :)

Anna
2 years ago

Let us know how it goes, Claire!

C
ClaireHeffron
1 year ago

Oh my. These cookies are AMAZING. So good and great peace of mind to know they're helping with milk supply too! Thanks for the awesome recipe!!

Anna
1 year ago

YAY!! I'm happy to hear that - I have a few friends who swear by them, so I had high hopes for you guys :) Thanks for letting us know!