In Ask the PN team

Caffeine challenge anyone?

K
Kristin
1 year ago

Okay lovelies...I'm addicted to caffeine (I heart my Nespresso and of course have convinced myself that caffeine option tastes better). I know I cannot wean alone and am wondering if anyone else wants to join me. We clan make it fun and focus on other ways of hydration and warm drinks (and ways to get extra energy,..like lemon water and jumping jacks?!?) I think it's extra hard to drink water this time of year and the caffeine isn't helping my digestion or blood sugar. Xxo

Katy
1 year ago

Ugh. I need this. For me, it's about the habit of going to the coffee shop in the morning and getting a latte. I don't even LIKE the coffee that much (although it is good coffee so it is not that) - it's all about the socialization and comfort of the routine. I COULD order a tea, but I don't. That's my long winded way of saying I am in. When are we starting?

K
Kristin
1 year ago

Thanks Megan! I just keep starting and stopping b/c I am alone and yes, the creamy coffee gets me. But, like Kate mentioned, I don't even like the taste of it after I have more than a small cup. So maybe that is a deal I make with myself, just one cup and in true hormone support, 1/2 caffeine or decaf would be best. I love the idea of the Nuun tablets. I didn't know they had ones that are only sweetened with stevia. LOVE it! I need to put some fun alternatives in the next FOR SURE!!! Kate, even if it's just you and me, we can do this! Perhaps we are clear on what we are shooting for and pick a date and check in on each other. For example: maybe for you it's order tea a couple times or skip it all together and for me i just do two pods in the morning, period...not the 4 I'm doing now...insert gasp...one is decaf don't worry. :/ Who else is in? I know you are out there. Even if you want to just stick to one cup...you know you want to. :) Okay, back to ignoring my messy house and Adele. :) :)

Wendi
1 year ago

I love this! I love the support. Almost makes me want to start my coffee habit back. :)

K
Kristin
1 year ago

tell me marleysmom1 why you are off coffee and do you notice a difference? Inspire me. :)

Wendi
1 year ago

Well.... I had a coffee and sugar and dairy problem. I have a $400.00 cappuccino maker my spouse bought us since we love coffee so much and don't live anywhere need a coffee shop. I didn't realize the extent of my problem until I started PN20 in August. The thought of drinking straight black espresso did not thrill me in the least. I think my love of coffee was also linked to my love of sugar and frothy milk. I also had a little sweet tea problem.... the sweeter the better. Real sugar, not the substitutes. I was committed to going through all the protocols in PN20. So. Green tea became my go to. Straight green tea. Just one cup. The loss of daily caffeine and sugar worked together... it was pretty ugly for about 10 days, but now I don't even notice it. I still love the smell of really good coffee, I just don't partake. It's been hard at times. I've tried frothing almond milk and that doesn't work very well. Honey just doesn't seem to go with cappuccino. Not into the whole Stevia thing. I don't know if I can inspire.... it's a daily struggle/choice. I do know the following: I feel better; I feel more energized; I don't feel as if I need my 2 cups before the kids can talk to me in the mornings; I sleep SO much better; My tummy is flatter. Another thing I do know... you can do it! It just takes the right mind set and time. I'm rooting for you!

G
GeorgeandAnn
1 year ago

This sounds great! I am a one cup girl (then one cup decaf) but I can fall off the wagon fast!! I would love to follow what you all are doing to up my water intake. Kristin, When I dropped coffee (I was decaf only but now I have a little if the good stuff), I slept better, stopped crashing in the afternoon, and stopped breaking out in caffeine sweats. Lol!

K
Katie
1 year ago

I'll join the party! Getting down to one cup a day sounds like the perfect place to be, and I know I can do that (I've done it before, but I fall easily off the wagon). When do we start?!

K
Kristin
1 year ago

Let's do it!!! Should we start the weaning process tomorrow? And go at whatever speed serves you to get to your goal of either one cup or decaf? I was sooo inspired by these stories that I got down to two shots yesterday and my hydration was better than months!! Group inspiration js where it is at. I actually wrote down why I want to do it...here are a couple of the things I came up with: 1. I drink more water when I drink less Java and I feel better 2. Better digestion with more water 3. My skin looks better (seriously you guys...my hubby just gave me $ for a facial bc my skin looks sad). Crazy how the coffee and lack of water and mn winter can impact your skin. 4. Hanging on to hope that my belly well reduce because I'm tired of the muffin top and people asking me if I'm expecting :) 5. Using my sankalpa (resolution) when I want more to help.me get closer to a goal that is a part of my souls's desires (yes, deep and true) 6. Save money 7. Need to come up with a list of over "treats" so that it is easier bc right now Java sometimes feels like the only treat. 8. Will be easier to want smoothies and green juice because we all know coffee goes better with peanut butter or carbs. :) 9. Because other have done it and believe in me Happy Friday!!

Katy
1 year ago

Tomorrow is as good as any day from my perspective. Why wait? I will join you. And I am going coffee-free because I know that is better for me (personal impact!) for several of the reasons you listed (1, 2, 4, 6, 9...). There is a recipe in one of the other PN packets for a warm tumeric milk that might be a nice caffeine free upgrade for those afternoons that call for something soothing and warm: http://heartbeetkitchen.com/2015/recipes/soothing-turmeric-milk/

Katy
1 year ago

I have been coffee-free since Friday (3 whole days!) but now that it is Monday, I am seeking out my regular routine. I don't need it for energy - I got enough sleep and I am well-hydrated. It truly is a habit!! Anyway, I thought if I shared that here I wouldn't need the coffee. Fingers crossed. Good luck to everyone else who is doing their own version of this.

K
Kristin
1 year ago

Kate that's amazing!!! I'm giving myself a slow weaning process...so I'm to about 3/4 caffeine today but Monday my mind says put the coffee in my veins. Nice work!!! Is there a tea that does the same? For me the weekdays are the hardest especially when my son wakes me up and I don't get my morning lemon water and meditation. That's when it's hard. Thanks for the continual motivation. Since I'm in it I'm going strong and hope by next weekend I'm on one cup of decaf!!! Also, how fun on earlier posts re: working in same city. Coco intrigues me as I am in beginning stages of my own business. :-) but...what I have been missing since I was laid off four years ago is the connection! This community is awesome for so many reasons. Let me know how you end up today Kate!!

Katy
1 year ago

Today's solution - half-caf... I have decided it is not regression but realistic for Monday. I have a lot to do and I don't need to spend all morning obsessing about having or not having coffee. Re: Coco, business ownership and connection - that's exactly why I joined. I had been working mostly from home and the occasional coffee shop when I first started my business, but after six months it was just too isolating most days. With the MN winter fast approaching, I knew I had to make a change or risk slipping into a serious winter funk. So I joined Coco last month. I am allowed to have visitors, so let me know if you want to stop by for a couple of hours one day to check it out. I typically work out of the Uptown location but have access to all sites. :)

K
Kristin
1 year ago

I love your solution to your Monday!! I secretly want to keep drinking caffeinated but my cortisol test I'm doing I can't do caffeine the whole day so I might as well go all in at least for a while. Even if half caffeine is all I do on occasion...it's all good. And yes please! How sweet. I would love to visit you sometime. When I looked at their locations the uptown one is the most convenient. I hope your day was productive

R
rfergason
1 year ago

I am late to this thread, but I am so very in! Weaning off coffee completely is one of my goals, because I need to take better care of my adrenals than I am right now. I tried once, and had headaches and tiredness for weeks. Then I had 1 cup of coffee and everything was so much better (seriously), and it was all downhill after that. I try to keep it to 1-2 cups of coffee a day, but life is really stressful right now and for some reason I think more coffee will make everything better (it never does...). So, here are my goals: This week (Dec 7) - Have only 1 cup of coffee in the morning, and not on an empty stomach. I can have as much tea as I want. Week of Dec 14 - Have 1/2 cup of coffee only. I can still have as much tea as I want. Week of Dec 21 - No coffee, but I can have as much tea as I want. At this point, I will revisit where I am and what else needs to be done. I envision transitioning from caffeinated tea to de-caff and green only. Thank you Kristin for starting this support. I think just writing down these goals has helped make them seem more real. I needed this!

K
Kristin
1 year ago

Kathleen...loved your post btw. How are you feeling now? I definitely get shaky the days close to when I have too much caffeine, but that could be just me. And Robin...I love your plan. It inspires me to keep going. News to report: I slept amazing last night for the first time I can say sleep quality was a GREAT! Today I didn't finish my 1/2 caffeine so I am in it to win it! :) Whoot. But, I do still want the extra jolt, but will stick with it. xoxo all!

K
Kristin
1 year ago

Hi Megan!! Nicely done!! :) I am happy to report I'm down to 1/2 shot of caffeinated espresso! The last of the weaning is hard. But I think tomorrow is go time bc I want to do my cortisol test. I notice a big difference in my ability to drink more water and appreciate Tess shaking, I'm also realizing my addiction to coffee is bc to me it feels like a treat. However, I just have to stay busy with other nourishing things. That helps! I too would love to hear how everyone is doing.

R
rfergason
1 year ago

So, I've had moderate success. I'm currently having about 1.5 cups of coffee a day. Not my 1 cup goal, but definitely less than before. I'm going to keep plugging away though, as this is still progress. And, I'm going to reach for green tea this afternoon. I've made a few observations (that I'm pretty sure I've made before). It helps me a lot if I don't reach for coffee as my first drink of the day. If I have 1-2 glasses of water and a fairly big breakfast, I really don't crave much coffee at all. So, I made a frittata last night and am going to try to stick to that this week. I also notice that drinking more/tons of water makes a big difference, which is something I'm not that great at (and I live in a desert and it's winter...).

K
Kristin
1 year ago

love it Robin!! yes, baby steps and progress. Let's keep plugging. i cannot seem to let go of my 1/2 shot of caffeine but I must keep going. I also NEED to drink more water. thanks for the water!!!