In Ask the PN team

Favourite PN breakfasts?

R
Ruth
1 year ago

I tend to find breakfast the hardest meal of the day to get right as there is not enough time. My current fave is the Savoury Rice Bowl with poached egg from Prescribe Balance pack. I'm not great with oats (even GF) so that rules out overnight oats. Wondering what your favourite PN approved breakfasts are?

T
TanyaPN
1 year ago

Excited to hear others' ideas as I often get in a routine of making the same thing every day! I loooove eggs so over easy eggs with some greens and meat if I've got any is my easy go to. Throw slice avocado on top and we're looking at a good day! I also throw together random smoothies. Lately I've been loving cold pressed coffee, coconut milk, puréed pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, banana, and protein powder! I don't get too fancy with smoothies...just dump and blend :) Both take me 5-10 minutes to whip up and are very very simple!

R
Ruth
1 year ago

Oooh -love the sound of both of those. I need definitely need a good helping of protein in the morning so eggs are generally my go to as well. The smoothie sounds delish - what is cold pressed coffee though and how does it differ from regular coffee??

T
TanyaPN
1 year ago

I've been on a cold press kick this summer [and now fall!] Using a french press, I just dump coarsely ground coffee beans and water in...[the ratio is 1 part coffee to 5 parts water], let it sit overnight and then plunge the beans to the bottom. Doesn't take much thought at all so that's why I love it - I think[?] it's pretty much the same as regular coffee? Maybe a little stronger?! All I know is it's delicious :)

S
SusRob
1 year ago

Hi Ruth - I struggle with breakfast too, and especially search for one that keeps me feeling full. I did Prescribe Balance, too, and fell in love with the Breakfast Tostada! It's like eating out for breakfast and so filling! Also - I made a batch of the Bluebery Almond muffins - I should have doubled the batch - enough said there!!!

V
Victoria
1 year ago

I've been loving a made up breakfast of chopped sweet potatoes (cooked in the microwave-who knew you could have sweet potatoes in under 5 minutes?!) with scrambled eggs and some misc meat and herbs on top. This week it's piece of sausage. Last week it was chicken. Mustgo meals at its best (Mustgo = this is the food that MUST GO out of our fridge now).

T
TanyaPN
1 year ago

Muffins! I always forget about muffins! And LOVE "mustgo" meals - new word that I am totally stealing and using :) I mean really, if you just throw an egg on top of any leftover - it's breakfast, right?!

A
Ali
1 year ago

I love the chia pudding, but made even better by then adding the rasberry "sauce" from the overnight oats (just fresh raspberries muddled with meyer lemon juice). I also experimented with adding fruit to the chia pudding; blueberry and mango are both great.

R
Ruth
1 year ago

Great recommendations - am adding all these to my breakfast rotation. Through the PN courses I've done I have learnt that it's fine to eat things for breakfast that are not necessarily breakfast-y, so loving your "mustgo" creations Victoria! In our house they are called NKS - stands for "nutritious kitchen scraps" ;-) And I agree - breakfast isn't breakfast without an egg!

K
KristinB
1 year ago

Haha, I had the savory rice bowl for breakfast this morning! I also love the figgy oatmeal muffins and the beet hash. Those are both on regular rotation.

E
emma
1 year ago

I like this but make it thicker (maybe 100g of each the quinoa and chia to the same of everything else) because once it's hot I like to add a dash of coconut milk to the top along with some berries. http://www.quirkycooking.com.au/2013/04/creamy-quinoa-chia-porridge/

E
emma
1 year ago

And my partner likes this. I do a bigger batch and break it up into single serve jars for him on the days he works because he eats there http://changinghabits.com.au/recipes-1/apple-spice-chia-porridge

R
Ruth
1 year ago

Emma - I LOVE quirkycooking. I use a lot of her recipes - esp as my youngest son was diagnosed with gluten and dairy intolerances. I also am now the proud owner of a Thermomix, making her recipes even quicker :-) I now don't know what I'd do without it. Anyone else a Thermomix fan?

R
Ruth
1 year ago

This morning's breakfast was one from a previous PN recipe pack (not sure which as my recipes are all mixed up!) - quinoa fruit salad - with a zesty lime, honey and mint dressing. Was absolutely amazing! Cook up some quinoa and let it cool, mix in fruit and berries of choice, add dressing (Juice of 1 lime, 2 tbsp honey, 2 tbsp ex virgin olive oil and 2 tbsp mint). Mmmmmmmm.

E
emma
1 year ago

Mine have intolerances also, she is fab right? As is the machine I don't know how I would get by without mine to be honest without spending twice as much to feed the kids!

R
Ruth
1 year ago

I know Emma - Thermies are just the best. I make my own coconut milk, flour and nut flours too. Just so versatile. Do you have the Quirky book too? Any fave quirky recipes apart from the breakfast ones? We love the chicken, brown rice soup: http://www.quirkycooking.com.au/2010/07/creamy-chicken-brown-rice-soup/ The Nasi Goreng is also amazing - can't find the recipe online but it's in the book!

M
Melanie
1 year ago

These are all great tips! I try and make some quinoa with onions and spinach the night before and then in he morning just plop an egg over easy on top. It's not a magnificent recipe, but it's my go-to when I have a hectic morning.