In Ask the PN team

Hey, gang - anyone up for a Turkey Trot?

Anna
2 years ago

I live in the Twin Cities, and every year I have meant to register for our Turkey Trot, which is a 6K or 10K on Thanksgiving morning. It can be walked or run, and I would love to run it. I just found a "couch to 5K" app and bought it for a super small fee. I have to imagine there are short Thanksgiving "races" in many cities. Does anyone want to commit to do this "together"? I would love to have a Prescribe Connection training team :)

K
Kelly
2 years ago

I would do it!

Anna
2 years ago

YES! Whether we are a team of 2 or 30, we are now officially a team :)

Anna
2 years ago

Also, for anyone who doesn't want to pay to register for a race, just commit to walking or running on your own. It will just be fun to work towards something with a bunch of PN'ers :)

A
Ann
2 years ago

I may join you virtually! I always have to travel for Thanksgiving and that makes it difficult to commit to a race. But I never mind an excuse to run! : )

R
Ruth
2 years ago

I got the couch to 5k app a few years ago now - found it great to get me running!

T
tammie@rresources.com
2 years ago

I'm in!

Claudia
2 years ago

There's no way I can run, but I can certainly walk-- but not that distance. However, I am going to walk in the "Walk to End Hunger" at the Mall of America on Thanksgiving morning. I do what I can!

JessicaSliman
2 years ago

I think I can join in virtually!

V
Victoria
2 years ago

I'm in!

Anna
2 years ago

Awesome, everyone! So we have just over seven weeks starting today. Feel free to set your own goal to walk or run if you are not registering for a race, but whatever you choose let's commit to your length today. Having a goal to strive for will help determine your training. I mentioned the couch to 5K app, does anyone else have any free or cheap resources? Go team PN :)

T
TanyaPN
2 years ago

Loooove this!

Gessika
2 years ago

Anna, have you picked out a specific race location? For people in the Twin Cities, the Drumstick Dash has 5K and 10K options: http://www.drumstickdash10k.com/races.html

Anna
2 years ago

Here is the one I registered for: http://www.turkeytrotsaintpaul.com

K
Kelly
2 years ago

Anna, did you mean that the people in the Twin Cities would run this race together? If so, did you register for the 6 or 10K? That looks like a great race :)

Anna
2 years ago

Hi Kelly! I think it should be a great race, and I definitely hope this gorgeous fall weather just keeps coming. I figured together might be too hard as we are all over the country (and world), and also because pacing would be tough. BUT it would be super fun for people running/walking the same course to say hi and snap a PN pic :) I registered for the 6K. What are you registering for?

JessicaSliman
2 years ago

Hal Higdon is a great resource for training for any kind of race. I used his plans while training for my first half marathon. http://www.halhigdon.com/training/50932/5K-Training-The-Most-Popular-Racing-Distance

Anna
2 years ago

Thanks, Jessica! I'll check it out :)

Anna
2 years ago

Hey Turkey Troters, look what just showed up while I was surfing nytimes.com... http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/10/13/lets-run-a-turkey-trot/?ref=health&_r=0

A
Ann
2 years ago

I ran hills today! I registered the family for a 5k on 11/17 (we'll be pushing the 4 year old in the jog stroller on a rather hilly course-- yikes!) as a pre-turkey trot run. Love the "excuse" to get back to running a bit more. :)

A
Ann
2 years ago

I ran hills today! I registered the family for a 5k on 11/17 (we'll be pushing the 4 year old in the jog stroller on a rather hilly course-- yikes!) as a pre-turkey trot run. Love the "excuse" to get back to running a bit more. :)

A
Ann
2 years ago

Sorry for the double posts... ??

Anna
2 years ago

A post so nice it should be posted twice :) LOVE it!! I on the other hand am recovering from a 10 day long respiratory virus. Ten. Days. Tomorrow the kicks are coming out again, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about this set back.

A
Ann
2 years ago

Oh no! I think you have enough time to get back in the game. Deep breath and start when you can. I listened to a podcast once with a top HS cross country coach who said that women can perform well after resting their bodies post illness or injury. Rest can benefit the process. I always think of that when my body says sleep/recover instead of run. Feel better!

nyssa
2 years ago

Well, all. I haven't run in years . . . for many (very good) reasons. But on Saturday I started the Couch to 5K app (per your rec, Anna). Loved it. It felt so good to get out and kick butt. I am about to head out for my second run/walk. I downloaded the "Rock My Run" app, which has lots of playlists of different types of music . . . and if you ask it to, it will match the speed of the music (the beat) to your steps. As a musician, I was stoked! Happy running, all!

R
Ruth
2 years ago

Rock My Run sounds amazing Nyssa! Will be downloading...

Anna
2 years ago

Thanks for sharing, Nyssa! Rock My Run = downloaded. I am running this evening and looking forward to it (especially with the new music app:)).