In Ask the PN team

so ashamed to admit my waking thought but bet I'm not alone

Jen
2 years ago

First thing, I check my darn phone in this order - sleep app to see how my night's rest was, texts, work email, Facebook, Instagram. I hate that I start the day this way, yet I haven't changed. Although I like my sleep analysis app, I think it's time for the phone to stay out of the bedroom. I'll even admit that while I was layer up on my back for 2 weeks, I started to play HayDay with my son, and my first thought was whether the cows needed to be milked and fed (they are so cute with their full bellies)

Jen
2 years ago

I'd like to practice a change - some combo of checking in with my body and thinking positively about the day to come. And then motivating myself to get up and exercise!

Jen
2 years ago

Ok, we'll do it together. Who else wants to join us? I do technically have a proper alarm clock but I don't know how to use it....yet. This is happening tonight

E
eilaj
2 years ago

I'm in! As a mom to a middle schooler, it's become GLARINGLY apparent that I need to model good online behavior. Lately I feel totally addicted to my phone. Full disclosure: today's a wash since I rolled over, took my phone off sleep mode, then launching right in checking texts, then emails, then Instagram, and THEN said good morning to-- or really, truth be told, even acknowledged-- my family. I'd say it's just "because I need a break… something mindless" but the reality is that I need to reign it in. Good first step… thanks for the inspiration to plug it in downstairs.

T
TanyaPN
2 years ago

Yep I'm still in bed looking at emails, Instagram, this discussion board... I am so in! I am going to head to target to buy an alarm clock TODAY so I can start a new morning tradition. Go team!

K
KristinB
2 years ago

I'm in, too! Every week I decide to stop checking e-mail so often and spending so much time on my phone/computer/etc., and about two days later I'm back to the usual pattern. Time for some accountability and to do this. I read "Hands Free Mama" a while ago and need to pick it up again to help keep me centered. Thanks so much for posting this, Jennifer!

J
Jen
2 years ago

I'm in too! This is something I've tried to do several times and it hasn't stuck, but I'm excited to give it another go! Moving my phone charger right now. Thanks for the inspiration!

A
amandazee
2 years ago

I'm pretty good about evening tech use - aside from looking at recipes on my laptop, I usually put everything away when I get home from work and leave it there until the morning. (Having the charger upstairs is a huge help, if I just plug it in when I get home, it's out of sight out of mind.) I DON'T have another alarm clock, though, so my phone is right there when I wake up. A quick check of the email, a quick check of Instagram, sometimes before I even put on my glasses. I'm struggling with how much time my step-kid spends on her iPad, so I know we need to be better role models! I'm going to try to leave everything but the alarm clock until at least breakfast. The world won't end without me.

D
Deeds
2 years ago

Well, I feel better about myself already! Just knowing I'm not the only one checking emails, work and personal, before I'm even dressed is quite fun for me! I too could use a little Balance in this area!

Jlpoolman
2 years ago

I actually put an alarm clock in the guest room (in case my little one wakes up from teething) and ordering another alarm clock from Amazon on Sunday so I can keep the phone out of the room. My babe fused a little last night and I got up to check on her. Normally when I do this I feel wide awake and start checking my phone even though it's 2am. And I didn't do it last night, and I feel so much better for that. Looks like I was on the same page as everyone else to PUT THE PHONE DOWN. :)

S
Sharon
2 years ago

I'm in. When I read your post I thought for a minute that I had written it as this is my morning ritual. We banned my 2 older girls from taking their phones upstairs a few weeks ago. I think I need to impose the same ban on myself. Thank you for posting this and making me feel that I'm not alone. 😉

S
Sharon
2 years ago

P.s I also had a HayDay addiction and at a time was more concerned about feeding the animals rather than my own kids (joking - honest!).

W
Winky
2 years ago

My friends and I have been talking about this exact thing after listening to an NPR story in July. http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2014/07/16/331727575/how-much-time-do-you-spend-on-your-smartphone-lets-see There is an app called Moment (link in the article), that lets you see how much you're using your iphone or ipad. Also, blue lights interfere with your sleep cycle, so be aware of phone usage before bed, especially if you have a hard time falling asleep. http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/blue-light-has-a-dark-side I'm trying to give up my habit of phone before bed, and this seems like the perfect time to do it!

D
Deb
2 years ago

I don't have a smart phone but I sure like to check in first thing too. I do use the computer for recipes and the thousand other things that are vitally important to know about each and every day. I think I'm getting addicted to health summits, finding the right recipes, Montessori and parenting sites... Being a SAHM I also think I use it for connection and kid free time. Except the kids are usually around. I do want to model better online behavior because they will probably have it worse than me!

J
June
2 years ago

I'm in, too! Checking my phone has taken the place of reading before bed, gotta reverse this bad habit!!

J
Jane
2 years ago

Count me in! Not a fun way to wake up and enjoy the day worrying about what's going on in the rest of social media or at work (whatever it is it can wait until I get there). Mornings for some people I know are SACRED in that they take that time for THEM. Nothing else! While I know it's not possible to be completely alone for some who have kids and in my case a husband, it is still important to put the phone away and have just our thoughts to focus on while we get prepared to jump into the day. :)

J
jennbk5
2 years ago

Can someone please post the npr article app? If I get sucked into the NPR rabbit hole I'll never get this kitchen cleaned!

K
Kelli
2 years ago

I love this. Awhile back my husband and I made a rule that when we got home from work, our phones went in a bowl and our computers stayed away until our son went to bed at 8pm. We did really good for a couple months but have slowly slipped back into bad habits. We're definitely going to commit to it again.

S
Sarah
2 years ago

I really want to say I am in but I am so nervous to fully commit. I actually use a real alarm clock so I don't have an excuse there. .. my problem is much worse on many levels. My son actually sleeps in my bed (judge away) because my husband and I are both the youngest child in our families and remember how awesome it was to snuggle with mom and dad. Well, nectar if this I don't really get to check the computer until he falls asleep at night. Example: this post. If I remove my phone from my room when will I ever get to check the internet? I actually don't use it at all during the day because I am to busy teaching to sit down and open it.

Jlpoolman
2 years ago

Warning, you have to have a newer Iphone for the app. I tried to get it on my lowly Iphone4 and it did not work.

S
Sarah
2 years ago

I'm TOTALLY in for this too...This is something I have been thinking about for at least 6 months.. I am addicted to my smartphone and it sleeps next to my head...I'm not too bad in the mornings, but evenings are my weakness. I am going to make an effort to keep it out of the bedroom and off in the evenings, as it is definitely affecting my relationship with my husband ;o) I actually bought an old basic phone a few months ago with the intention of being more present in my life...I have to admit that I charged it once and have not used it at all. I'm getting it out tonight! I've also contemplated taking the cables out of the tv to get more sleep and connect better with the family......maybe next week ...:o) Sarah, I can relate to that feeling that that you never get the chance to use the internet - I remember those days when my kids were young... At the time, I set a rule about only using the internet for one hour. I would write down everything I wanted to look up, and then have an hour to do it. Any time left was for checking the news and social sites. Maybe, doing something like that would help, rather than cutting it out completely?

Jen
2 years ago

Taking the phone out of the bedroom has been so freeing! How's it going for you?

T
TanyaPN
2 years ago

I'm so glad you posted a follow up Jennifer! I read a whole book in one week - haven't read a book in maybe a year?? So THAT was refreshing! I can get so much more done in the day when I'm not mindlessly on my phone. Thanks for kicking this off - clearly it was much needed :)

S
Sarah
2 years ago

I've been getting to sleep earlier and waking up with more energy! Yay!