In Ask the PN team

Major Skin Freakout - No Bueno

J
Julie
2 years ago

I noticed a statement in the materials about the possibility of a skin eruption, but man, this is on a whole other level. I've struggled with acne the past few years, which is part of the reason for doing this program, but the last couple days has been truly not fun... any recommendations or thoughts on riding out the wave? I'm thinking of trying the ACV thing, since it has so many benefits.

Anna
2 years ago

Shoot! Skin stuff is NO FUN. Definitely try ACV - both drinking it or using it diluted in water as a toner. As always, lots and lots of water to continue to help flush everything out. I noticed this morning that I have two random blemishes on my neck, which I have never experienced before! However prior to this program I was eating more dairy and sugar than I had in a few years, so I think there is a lot of detoxifying happening. You are not alone!

J
Julie
2 years ago

thanks! i'm hanging in!! I'm going to the Lab green beauty event tomorrow with Elizabeth Dehn and Nicolle Mackinnon. i'll be asking about concealer. ;)

T
TanyaPN
2 years ago

So jealous you're going to that LAB! It was sold out by the time I heard about it - report back!!

M
Marie
2 years ago

I've been having blemishes along the jaw line pop up over the last few days too! Not fun! ;)

J
Jessica
2 years ago

It was so great to meet you at LAB Julie! It was nice to talk with someone face to face that is also doing PN 20. :) Thanks so much for coming! Hope the next few weeks go great!

M
Marie
2 years ago

I should have gone to that LAB ;) My skin is freaking out!! Zips galore along the jawline! I haven't had it this bad since I was under tons of stress early last year. I had just gotten it under control and now it's back. :( I'm hoping it will clear up this week following the accelerated program.

T
TanyaPN
2 years ago

Keep us posted Marie! A lot of people do see their skin drastically improve after this program but if yours doesn't take a turn for the better, let us know! Sounds like yours is related to stress so take that as an excuse for some 'me time' :)

M
Marie
2 years ago

Thanks so much, Tanya! Before when I had it (cystic acne along my jawline) REALLY bad I chalked it up to stress, as I was working full time and going to school (19 credits!) full time. My diet was poor (although it was still mostly vegan/dairy free it was a lot of industrialized organics/sugars/coffee) and my stress was at 150% for 4 months straight. It slowly went away last Spring/Summer after I graduated (I had tried nearly everything during that time...dermatologist, second dermatologist opinions, different skin lines, no-dairy diet, ACV was my best friend, tons of water..in the end the less stress and a few different essential oils on my skin sort of fixed it. It started when I was around 28 and peaked during that stressful time at 33. It seemed to just disappear over last Spring/Summer and this Fall/Winter and now its back! The diet is the only thing I can think of that's changed. I desperatly hope it goes away this week. I'm sorry if I sound high maintenance!! I know there are bigger problems in the world ;) Cystic Acne at 34 is the WORST though! ;) Maybe me/my body just doesn't like change? ;) Sorry for the OTT information...just thought the more information, the better for any advise. Thanks!

M
Marie
2 years ago

Tanya: Also, I should mention... I am not really under much stress at this time so I don't think its stress now. I had a quiet weekend, got a massage, went for a run, hung out with friends, yoga, tons of water, incorporating ACV, and eating according to the program... I'll keep you posted though! Thanks again!

T
TanyaPN
2 years ago

Oh my goodness Marie, NO NEED to apologize! I am right there with you - I know skin issues are the most annoying thing in the world yet it is s.u.c.h. a slow healing process. SO hard to be patient! Sounds like you had an amazing, relaxing weekend [jealous!] and you are dedicated to this program so hopefully things clear up! Skin issues/acne are so frustrating because there is no 'one right answer' - truly a test of what works for YOU. Megan wrote a great blog about adult acne: http://prescribe-nutrition.com/adult-acne-total-bs/ My best advice to you is: don't overthink you face [it's always seems way worse to us than it does to others!], stick with the Prescribe 20 protocol, continue with your stress relief activities, water, ACV, and then at the end of this program if things don't clear you may want to consider getting your hormone levels tested. Like I said, it's a long, painfully slow process but it can and will improve!

M
Marie
2 years ago

Thanks for the support, Tanya! I really appreciate it --- also appreciate being able to tell my problem to someone who listens and understands! I had read that blog post -- lots of good stuff there! I have to say...when I went to my family doctor, to the dermotogists (and even the accupuncturist!) they all agreed it was hormonal and every time I would ask..is there a way to test for that/confirm it? They ALL told me no..not really. What's up with that? Is there a way? I had some blood work done, but that tested more for thyroid, cholesterol, etc. Then they would prescribe me some topical or pill usually. I never took it because I'm a firm believer of healing with food for stuff like that and getting to the root of the problem (not masking the symptoms). I EVEN went to a self-help guru who works with our emotions and chakras (She is AMAZING btw and even though she didn't seem to fix my acne, she helped me with SO many other things!!! I now go to her about every 4 months to "check-in". She's a life-changer, definately, on so many levels..if anyone is looking for someone like that let me know and I'll send you her name!!!) Anyway, I'm going all over the place with this post. Thanks again, and I'll be in touch if it continues!

T
TanyaPN
2 years ago

Katie and Megan are able to do specific hormone tests so that is something to consider if you have issues after the program. The one I did was just a spit test that was able to test estrogen, progesterone, estro:progest ratio, cortisol...there may have been more but that's all I remember! If you're in MN, I would love to know the name of that guru! I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff :) Keep us posted on your skin!

J
Julie
2 years ago

Update: my skin is better, but I wouldn't yet say great by any means... I tried the ACV THING, and I would take just about anything to clear my skin, but I swear I actually felt my stomach contracting and burning simultaneously. What's your opinion of ACV supplements? :)

Anna
2 years ago

I just came across this and had to share! http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-17519/how-to-make-the-best-of-a-bad-skin-day.html

J
Julie
2 years ago

Can you tell us more about the hormone testing? I'd be very interested in exploring after the program. I've asked my doctor for awhile about doing it, but she said that she didn't think that it would show anything significant. I was disappointed with that explanation.

J
Julie
2 years ago

Excellent, thank-you! Also, is the Get Balanced program the same as Prescribe 20 with a new name, or is the content/structure different?

Anna
2 years ago

Hi Julie! It is a totally different program than Prescribe 20. Prescribe Balance (formerly called Get Balanced) is a deeper dive into digestion, hormone imbalances, blood sugar etc. It will be have different material, recipes, and audios than P20. Here is the link for more info: http://prescribe-nutrition.com/programs/get-balanced/