In Ask the PN team

Natural Ways to Fight Illness

A
Ann
2 years ago

This is really for everyone... What do you all do to fight illnesses naturally? We were hit last week (my son) and things are going downhill fast. So, natural remedies for coughs? Honey is just not doing the trick... Natural immunity boosters? We are all up half the night with a coughing child and now my nose is starting to run. Nooo!

J
Jess
2 years ago

I pump myself and everyone in my house up with extra vitamin C. Usually that helps us kick the bad bugs faster. I've read that extra vitamin D helps too. For a cough we've been experimenting with adding high quality essential oils to honey - it actually seemed to help with a really persistent cough that my son had. I think I added lemon and frankincense, but I've seen other tips that recommend lavender, peppermint, thyme and others. The extra vitamins really seem to help us kick bugs fast, saline nasal rinse saved my life when I was pregnant and couldn't take anything for a cold. Good luck!!

J
Julie
2 years ago

Hi there- one thing I always hear about is oil of oregano, which you can find at Whole Foods. I haven't actually used myself yet, but will be what I try if I get caught with a cold/flu yet this year. Also elderberry in drops or syrup has been recommended to me. For me, I tend to get sinus and or congestion symptoms and breathing in steam from boiling water with 10 drops of lavender oil does the trick every time for me - haven't been on antibiotics for years. Oh, and lots of warm water with lemon. All this said, I know with a child a temp and other things must be carefully managed. Good luck!

T
TanyaPN
2 years ago

Thanks guys! You are spot on with those suggestions. I drink as many liquids as possible - flushing out whatever has taken over my body, increase the apple cider vinegar, I do take more vitamin D as well, bone broth, avoid sugars, eat well rounded diet - basically try to be as healthy as possible while being sick haha. Anna swears by Boiron's ColdCalm for colds ]or oscillococcinum for the flu] but I haven't tried that yet! Hope you kick this FAST!

A
Ann
2 years ago

This is good stuff!! Mama Jeska, What form is the vitamin c? We eat a lot of oranges but have not tried drops or powders. Julie, I added lavender oil and elderberry drops to my grocery list and will research what to do with oil of oregano. Love the steam idea!!

A
Ann
2 years ago

Tanya, What do you do if you don't have bone broth on hand? Can you buy it at Whole Foods or anything? I am probably not going to make a whole chicken this week. Will look for the cold calm. Thanks!!

T
TanyaPN
2 years ago

I can't remember where you live, Ann but I actually cheated this past week when I was sick and picked up a couple of cups from local restaurants that serve it! If you're in MN, Sassy Spoon and Foxy Falafel both serve bone broth :) I haven't seen it at my local Whole Foods but they should get on that!

A
Ann
2 years ago

No, I live in SC (Charlotte metro)... I'll have to look around and see if I can cheat, too. Making bone broth really grosses me out, so I would love to find a good source.

T
TanyaPN
2 years ago

Haha yes! I know it's popping up more and more so good luck!

T
Toni
2 years ago

My fav Vit C (especially for kids ) is EmergC. Target sells this as well as the Co-ops. Supposedly you can take C every hour. If stools get loose, back off. My go-to for cough or a cold is ginger tea. Get fresh ginger and cut into 1 inch cubes and put a 1/4 cup or so in a big mug and pour boiling water over. Steep for 10 min. If it is spicy, then you did it correctly. You can add raw honey for flavor and almond milk to cool it down. You could even make a big batch in a thermos and drink all day long. It is so healing. I learned this from a chiropractor. Don't forget healing baths. Dr. Singha Mustard bath is so healing and warming or Epsom Salt baths.

J
Julie
2 years ago

Oh, one more thing I remembered - a friend of mine recommended 'counter attack', which is supposedly a cleaner version of EmergC, which what I've also used. I haven't been able to find at WF, but I heard that some co-ops do carry it. Friend says her family lives by the stuff.

J
Jess
2 years ago

Elderberry syrup is actually a really good source of vitamin C, so you can use that for a great remedy. I also take big chewable kids C vitamins. Just keep an eye for loose stools like Toni said.

A
Ann
2 years ago

The vitamin C tablets I saw today seemed to have a lot of extra stuff... Any favorite brands? I will pick up some EmergC. Thanks! I bought some elderberry syrup and lozenges and now I have to re-fi my house! Ok, it's not that bad but JEEZ! Any tips on saving? Do you all take it daily all year? I am hoping that store bought is just maked up. I bought a huge bag of oranges, too, so I hope I am on the right track. My nose is like a faucet!! All of the oils that you all recommended were sold out. I guess everyone else is sick, too?! : )

J
Jess
2 years ago

For your nose definitely try the nasal rinse. It's tough at first, if you've never done it before, but it totally works and is totally medicine free. Good luck! I like Trader Joe's chewable C, but I honestly have no idea what else is in them, and I think they're reasonably priced.

T
TanyaPN
2 years ago

You guys rock! I forgot about this awesome post from Wellness Mama - loaded with good tips :) http://wellnessmama.com/1499/natural-remedies-for-illness/

R
rfergason
2 years ago

A cold and a stomach virus have been running through my house these past 3 weeks as well. And now that the weather has been in the 60's the past week, I think we have some allergy issues as well. So, I'm right there with you! I haven't tried a lot of the tips people have been sharing - I'll have to give some of them a try tool. When my kids or I have a cough/cold, I always prop everyone up on an extra pillow (or 2), assuming they're old enough to sleep on pillows in the first place (if not, you can also prop up a crib mattress with a rolled-up towel for the same effect). Keeping the head elevated helps everything drain down, rather than sit at the back of the throught and cuts down the coughing, helping everyone sleep better. I hope you all are feeling better soon!

A
Ann
2 years ago

Robin, We continue to prop my son and then he promptly rolls to his side every time! Haha! We keep trying. : ) Same to you! I hope your family recovers soon.