In Ask the PN team

All or nothing

V
Victoria
2 years ago

I'm traveling and managed to get myself into a situation where I had a very non-PN meal. In previous instances, I would use this as my giving up point for the whole Reset with the mindset of, if I can't do this perfectly, I should just quit. I'm really tired of going down that path but also feeling guilty, frustrated, etc. I was so proud of my 3 'perfect' days! And I'm proud that I had planned ahead for this trip and packed a lunch box and have good snacks and meals to take with me during meetings tomorrow. Part of this post is to hold myself accountable to making better decisions tomorrow and not using tonight dinner as a reason to derail myself. Does anyone else struggle with the all or nothing mentality? And tips to get past it?

Anna
2 years ago

Oh Victoria, you are not alone sister!! Remember that we are the "real life" squad. This is exactly why this message board exists. Don't expect perfection - its just not possible. Keep doing what you are doing, trying hard, holding yourself accountable and treat tomorrow like the new day it is. Back in the saddle!

Jen
2 years ago

I have totally had the all or nothing mentality. Good for you for taking charge!

Anna
2 years ago

Lightbulb moment. Megan Morris, you are so right!

Claudia
2 years ago

It's funny. We all seem to think this way, and I consider it a very human thing. But if we look at how we actually learn and make changes in our life, it's generally one step forward and two steps back. Change is not made once and for all time. For all of us who have taken more than one of these classes, we KNOW it is true. However, it remains difficult to remember when we backslide. Here's a place where some additional mindfulness would help us all!

V
Victoria
2 years ago

Thanks so much for the great support! I'm ready for a good day and have thought through a plan b for dinner at the airport since I know that will be a challenge. It's all about planning ahead right? So much easier to make healthy decisions when you get rid of barriers. After today I need to tackle a Christmas party tomorrow night where the planned dinner is pizza! I think I'm going to try to combat it by making a hearty salad and make myself a tasty protein of some sort to go on top. Only time will tell!

L
Lilly
2 years ago

I read this phrase yesterday and it stuck with me "feed yourself good food and good thoughts." Every time you deviate, return to that. And sometimes, good food will be one piece of chocolate cake

RockyBalbo
2 years ago

Just because one tire is flat do you slash the other tires to make it even or do you fix the one? I am not using that analogy totally correct but you get my drift. We all or nothing thinkers need to live in the grey area sometimes......this is SO true for so many. You are not alone. One meal is not the end all......... You got this sister! Cheers!

G
Gina
2 years ago

Don't give up! I saw a great quote about New Years Resolutions that I think we can apply to something like this: Don't make New Years Resolutions Make a New Day or a New Hour one! You can always start over =)

K
Kristin
2 years ago

This is such good stuff! Thank you all! :-)

L
Lori
2 years ago

I consider myself a recovering perfectionist, always giving up on things if I couldn't achieve perfection. This is my go-to quote: "Never let perfect become the enemy of good" Voltaire

V
Victoria
2 years ago

Update: back on track with a delicious lunch from Origin Meals and healthy snacks. Everyone else in my meeting was jealous of my lunch as they munched on the catered sandwiches. Bonus, we wrapped early so I was able to get an earlier flight home which means I avoid the despair of trying to find healthy food in an airport! Thanks for the support. I'm loving the mottos you all are sharing!

G
Gina
2 years ago

Yay - great update Victoria!

S
Sara
2 years ago

Just remember..."it is never too late to start the day over."

S
Sara
2 years ago

Just remember..."it is never too late to start the day over."

L
Laura
2 years ago

Lori - I am loving that quote!! I'm going to have to put it some where I'll see it often This whole post speaks to me and the amount of support going on is unreal, love it!