In TMI? No such thing

digestion issues

T
tneff24
2 months ago

Hello! I'm excited to be on board again... this is my 4th Prescribe 20!

In the past sessions... I entered each program looking for a general reboot,

just trying to get my mind around healthy eating and general wellness.

This time around it is through a slightly different lens! Now I've got "issues"! ;)

I went to my Family Practice Dr. 2 weeks ago with abdominal pain that I had

been dealing with for roughly 2 weeks prior- just mild cramping on my lower left

side. She diagnosed me with... constipation. (insert dumbfounded face here).

How is this possible? I am drinking 60+ oz. of water each day and get plenty

of fiber through fruits and vegetables. She recommended I take a fiber supplement

like Metamucil. I'm still a little confused as to the "diagnosis" since I "go" daily.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what I can eat to get more bang for my buck

in the fiber department?

Tanya Thomforde (PN Team)
2 months ago

So interesting! I'm thinking that she's saying your system isn't totally clearing?! Maybe Megan our digestion guru can chime in here.

So insoluble fiber is what you're going to want to look for. It's the fiber with a laxative effect! Here are some foods high in insoluble fiber: greens / peas / green beans / bell peppers / eggplant / celery / onion / garlic / cabbage / brussels sprouts / broccoli / cauliflower / grains / raisins / grapes / fruit skins / root vegetable skins

Other lifestyle ideas: drink plenty of water, and upon waking drink warm water with a squeeze of lemon. You could try having apple cider vinegar or gentle digestive enzyme like papaya extract with meals. Get plenty of magnesium from dark leafy greens - try to get them twice a day. Incorporate fermented foods. Exercise...more if you can! Yoga is very helpful with constipation.

Hopefully that gives you some good starting points! Keep us posted on how you feel - if that changes at all over the next 20 days. And since I haven't said it already...welcome back!!

sierra
2 months ago

I'm going to add on to this question because I'm wondering if one of reasons I have such bad gas (like, no matter what I eat and it's so uncomfortable for me) is because my system isn't clearing all the way?? I just don't know what to do at this point and I really didn't want to post this as a main subject line because it's so embarrassing and generally uncomfortable.

2 months ago

I used to be this way too Sierra - no shame and no TMI! Are you bloated too or just gassy? Do you notice if it's worth with anything in particular? Fermented foods, probiotics, etc?

sierra
2 months ago

I am bloated. The bloating went away when I did PN 20 and PN balance but the funky gas never did! I'm just always uncomfortable and worried it's going to escape when I'm not in the bathroom, lol! I don't eat anything fermented...just not a fan. And I don't eat yogurt anymore but I do take a probiotic.

sierra
2 months ago

Tanya, did you find a solution?

sierra
2 months ago

I don't mean to hijack the post but I didn't have this problem until I started taking Lexapro about three years ago. Is it the medication? Going off of it is not an option. :(

2 months ago

Ok SO interesting - I just googled "Lexapro and gas" and this is actually really common! One thread I read said that you may be reacting to the lactose in the pill and went on to say that they think some brands have lactose coatings and some don't...who knew! Other threads are saying it depends on what you're eating too. So it looks like it's going to have to be a little personal investigation :)

My gas was paired with bloating and IBS. I tested slightly positive for SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth) so took some herbal supplements that acted like antibiotics - killing off the overgrowth. That didn't cure me immediately but I pretty strictly was off gluten, dairy, and sugar and I think that allowed my gut to heal.

Megan is our digestion guru so I'm going to have her jump in here with her tips!

sierra
2 months ago

Ok wow! So interesting! I guess mainly I need to experiment to figure this out. Maybe I should take a lactaid before my Lexapro dose?

Megan Morris (PN Team)
2 months ago

That would be worth running by your doctor Sierra! We definitely agree - messing with meds is something we'd never advise, but it's really important you're empowered with the information, and unfortunately, there is a big correlation between digestive meds and meds of this nature. I would suggest taking a well rounded digestive enzyme when you eat - something "full spectrum" - and please do discuss with your doc the lactose free med options! Keep us posted.

For the first post - I've got a few questions!! Constipation is a department I know well. (also side note to everyone - I know it can feel tough/embarrassing - but this is a SAFE place for these questions!! Never TMI for us :)

I'd love to get more info though. You say you have lower abdominal pain, but are you in fact constipated? Are you going daily? Do you feel like you've "completed" when you went? Gas? Let me know when you can!

T
tneff24
2 months ago

Hi! Yeah... I guess that was what confused me the most... I go daily- sometimes twice! I do sometimes feel bloated and have gas and sometimes there is clear mucus. 😳 I have in the past month upped my water intake to 50+ oz. and have tried to eliminate refined sugars and boosted my daily veggie/fruits. I exercise daily (30+ min of kickboxing OR running).

I have been taking Metamucil pills for the past couple of weeks. I can't say I've seen improvement. I thought maybe it wasn't intestinal at all and went to see my OB, although- everything is regular as far as that goes... he said everything checked out fine there and he seemed to agreed with the previous Dr.... just seems weird. In my "searches" I saw Diverticulitis... but other than the location of the pain- I don't have any other symptoms.

T
tneff24
2 months ago

I should note... both said to follow-up and said either of them could do an ultra-sound.

Megan Morris (PN Team)
2 months ago

Hey there! Thanks for the back info. Ok so it's great that you're going daily and I wouldn't stay that at the core then constipation is the issue...it will be interesting to see how you feel going 100% gluten and dairy free - these are SUPER common triggers for any type of digestive issues, so keep us posted on that.

I wonder if this is more of a gas/bacteria being out of balance issue. If so, one way to address is to look at the way you eat veggies/fruit - tons of uncooked veggies {salads} can cause some pain and gas for certain people, even certain fruits can do that {commonly apples and other foods listed in the FODMAP food group}. I'd recommend leaning more on cooked veggies when possible if it persists. And if after P20 this pain hasn't gone away, I'd actually ask your doctor to run a SIBO test [small intestinal bacterial overgrowth] which is what Tanya referenced above, and I promise it's not that scary!

Finally - please do try taking digestive enzymes, full spectrum ones that contain proteases, lipases amylases enzymes [Whole Foods has tons! Try RAW or Source Naturals brands]. This could really help with the breakdown process when you eat! Let me know if this helps :)

T
tneff24
2 months ago

Such great information! I'll work on the diet and grab some of the digestive enzymes in the next few days!

Thanks!

S
suzannenaturalbody
2 months ago

There is a possibility that the Lexipro is taking away your mental symptoms, but the feelings that you are not feeling, because of the medication, are still registering in your gut. it's great that your mood is better and that you are functioning better, but there is another way. Consider going to a good Chinese herbalist and/or acupuncturist who can work with your doctor to help you wean off the Lexipro. The nice thing about herbal and energetic remedies is that that actually train your body how to make its own dopamine etc etc. You don't need to be on them forever--you don't become dependent on the acupuncture! My other advice is to us a hot water bottle over your abdomen daily while you are relaxing. So much of gas can be related to "nerves". Trust you body. Ginger, fennel, cinnamon are all gently "warming" spices that are wonderful for reducing gas if you take them regularly. However, I suspect that the medication is interferring with something. You NEED to have a more stable mood, but there are literally hundreds of ways to achieve that.

H
blondeshoppr
1 month ago

Can you tell me how the apple cidar vinegar works and when/how to suggest using it? It's been mentioned to me to try but I haven't looked up how or why I would go that route. (Also suffering from horribly gas pains that are borderline debilitating). Thanks!

E
ezona
1 month ago

Hi tneff24 -- I'm a nurse in a hospital and a lot of my patients get constipated. I think I have only had patients who are pooping but are still constipated when they've been VERY constipated before this and so it's not all out yet. I'm guessing this isn't your case. I don't think it's good enough for the Dr to just tell you that without an xray. If you're still worried about it, I would get this done. And xray is better than ultrasound for constipation. Good luck!

1 month ago

Hey @blondeshoppr! Studies are showing that we often have too little stomach acid which aids in digestion so taking apple cider vinegar can increase your stomach acid. There are a lot of other benefits - here's a quick list: https://draxe.com/apple-cider-vinegar-uses/

There are a number of ways you can take it - I prefer to dilute 1-2 Tbsp in water with lemon and/or honey. Sometimes I do room temp, sometimes I warm it up. I know other people prefer to just shoot a Tbsp back straight but that's too much for me! I will warn you - it can be an acquired taste. Start with a small amount diluted and work up from there.

Let me know if that helps!

M
MelanieG
1 month ago

Natural Calm always helps when my digestion is off....