Delicata Squash, Millet & Kale Bowl
3 delicata squash*, halved lengthwise and seeded
1 small red onion, diced
2 tablespoons coconut oil or ghee, melted
1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
2 cups uncooked millet (or use another favorite grain)
1 large bunch of kale, center ribs removed, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1⁄2 bunch fresh Italian parsley, chopped
1⁄4 cup dried, unsweetened cranberries
1⁄4 cup raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
Creamy tahini dressing (see Creamy Tahini Dressing recipe)
*You do not peel delicata squash, the skin is quite soft and you eat it!
1. Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Slice the squash crosswise into 1/3 inch wide half moons. Place the squash and the onion on the baking sheet and drizzle with coconut oil or ghee, then toss well to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Roast the squash and onions for about 20 minutes, ipping them on their other sides halfway through. You want the squash to be golden,lightly browned and fork tender. When nished cooking, remove from oven and set aside
4. While the squash is cooking, cook the millet according to the guide for whole grains (on pg 9), or use leftover quinoa or brown rice from another meal. Let the grains cool slightly before using.
5. Place the chopped kale in a large bowl and massage 1⁄4 cup of the tahini dressing into it using your hands, this will help break down the leaves. Add the millet, roasted squash and onion, celery, parsley, cranberries, pumpkin seeds and toss well to coat. Add more dressing if/as needed.
If you don’t know delicata squash, you are missing out. This is a PN favorite - this squash is easy to cut through, easy to seed, and best part? No need to peel it. It cooks very quickly and adds an absolutely delicious and not too sweet avor to everything. Make ahead tip: You could throw this meal together entirely from leftovers! Roast a batch of squash and onions in advance, use leftover millet (or any other grain) you have on hand, and have the tahini dressing ready to go. That way the whole bowl takes about 5 minutes.