Can a smoothie bowl really make you more beautiful? If you eat one every day, it just might! Smoothies made with nutrient-dense ingredients like veggies, superfoods, fruits, nuts, and seeds are good for both beauty and brawn. Today we’re sharing one of our all time favorite skin-loving smoothie recipes (we’re even dishin’ out some smoothie pro tips you may have never heard of!).
We know this smoothie won’t appeal to everyone but if you’re open to trying it (and want glowing skin) we think it makes for a great addition to your smoothie rotation! We love making this smoothie recipe into a bowl – mentally there’s just something different about sitting down to eat something with a spoon versus sipping it in a glass. Plus, you get to add toppings and life is short and we all deserve toppings.
So, without further ado, let’s introduce the stars of your Beet Cacao Beauty Bowl!
Beets are naturally sweet which makes them great for smoothies and juices. Beets are also great sources of fiber, magnesium, phosphorus, vitamin C, iron, and vitamin B6. Oh and they’re amazing for your digestion and liver detox… happy liver + happy gut = glowing skin.
Cacao provides a rich chocolatey flavor and is abundant in antioxidants. Antioxidants are your best friend – they help fight free radicals and provide anti-aging benefits. Cacao is also rich in magnesium and vitamin C which are used in skin renewal and repair.
Secret ingredient alert – frozen zucchini! Health benefits aside, using frozen zucchini is a ninja move for amazing smoothies. Chopped, frozen zucchini makes smoothies super thick and creamy in the same way frozen bananas do but without the sugar and banana taste! DO IT. You’re gonna love it!
Chia seeds, hemp seeds, and flax seeds are little protein and fiber nuggets and are rich in omega-3 fatty acids (beneficial for skin). Omega-3’s help cool inflammation and combat everything from rosacea to acne. In fact, people often see a dramatic drop in flare-ups when they add more omega-3 fatty acids to their diet!
Beauty Smoothie Bowl
Makes 1 large or 2 small smoothie bowls.
- 4-5 small or 3 medium pre-cooked beets (cooled)
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped zucchini
- 1 1/2 tablespoons raw cacao powder (or unsweetened cocoa)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1-2 tablespoons chia, flax or hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons nut butter, your choice
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk, your choice
- Optional: frozen banana, maple syrup, honey or stevia to sweeten
- PN favorite toppings: pumpkin seeds (pepitas), dried mulberries, unsweetened shredded coconut, cacao nibs, dried chopped figs
- Blend all ingredients (minus the optional sweetener) in a high speed blender. Blend on high until well incorporated.
- Add additional milk or water if needed to thin, but you’ll want the smoothie bowl a bit on the thicker side. Taste and add sweetener if you feel you want it a bit sweeter, then blend again.
- If using protein powder, add at the very end (you don’t want to over-blend protein powder).
- Pour into a bowl and add your toppings of choice!