50/50 Mashed Potatoes
- 2 lbs Japanese sweet potatoes these are the white esh ones!, scrubbed
- 1 cauliflower large head
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1⁄4 cup full-fat coconut milk only if needed
- Fill a large saucepan with water and place over high heat.
- Cut the potatoes into 1-inch chunks. Once the water is boiling, add the potatoes and cook for 8 minutes, uncovered. While the potatoes are cooking, remove the cauliflower leaves and chop into bite-size florets. When the 8 minutes is up, add the cauliflower to the boiling water and cook for another 8 minutes, uncovered, until they are fork- tender.
- Drain the potatoes and cauliflower and return them to the saucepan. Add the ghee, salt, pepper and garlic and mash the mixture with a potato masher until smooth.
- If you prefer a very smooth and silky consistency, use a handheld blender after you have mashed them down. If the mixture is dry (the cauliflower will release water as it’s mashed so give it a little time), add 1⁄4 cup of full-fat coconut milk and continue to mash until well incorporated.
These mashed potatoes a major health upgrade from regular mashed potatoes. The switch to sweet potatoes ups the vitamin and mineral content, while the incorporation of cauliflower adds fiber while cutting down on starchy carbohydrates. Make ahead tip: These can be made 1-2 days in advance and kept in the fridge. Simply reheat in the oven or microwave when ready to enjoy.