Almond Date Slice
- ½ cup raw cacao powder + 2 tablespoons
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 4 tbsp pure maple syrup
- ½ cup almond butter
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 4-5 dates softened in hot water
- ½ cup virgin coconut oil
- 1 tsp pure almond extract
- pinch sea salt
- raspberries fresh or frozen for garnish - optional
- Line an 8x8 square pan with parchment paper. Grease the parchment with coconut oil.
- To make the chocolate layers, add the cacao (or cocoa powder), coconut oil, and maple syrup to a small pan over low heat (a double boiler works great here if you have one). Stir constantly until the mix is melted and smooth.
- Pour 2⁄3 of the chocolate mixture into the bottom of the square pan, setting the other 1⁄3 aside. Place the pan in the freezer for 15 minutes to set.
- Make the caramel by softening the dates in hot water for 1-2 minutes, then drain and remove pits. Blend in a blender until smooth. In a sauce pan, add the almond butter, maple syrup, coconut oil, pureed date mix and almond extract over medium to low heat, stirring constantly for 3-5 minutes or until melted.
- Let the mixture cool, then pour over the chilled base chocolate layer and spread out until even. Pop back in the freezer for 15-20 minutes. Pour the remaining chocolate mixture over top, carefully smoothing out. Sprinkle with sea salt and raspberries.
- Return to the freezer for 30 minutes. Slice into individual bars when you’re ready to serve.
Make ahead tip: This stores well in the refrigerator for 5-6 days or in the freezer for 1 month, though it will never last that long! Makes: 12 squares