Asian Lettuce Wraps
- 1 lb organic ground beef or ground chicken
- 1 cup shredded sweet potato
- 8 oz water chestnuts rinsed, drained, and diced
- 1 cup quinoa cooked
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- fresh ginger 1 inch, grated
- ⅓ cup bbq sauce
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup coconut aminos
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp Thai chili paste
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 12 butter lettuce leaves (you can also use iceberg lettuce)
- scallions diced, for garnish
- white sesame seeds for garnish
- red cabbage for garnish
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, combine the ground beef, sweet potato, water chestnuts, quinoa, garlic, and ginger. Cook for about 5 minutes until the meat is browned and no pink remains.
- In a large glass measuring cup, mix the barbecue sauce, olive oil, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, orange juice, Thai chili paste, honey, and sesame oil. Set aside.
- Once the meat is cooked, pour the sauce over and stir so everything is evenly coated. Cook for 3 minutes more until the sauce is warmed through.
- Scoop a generous mixture of the meat into each lettuce leaf. Sprinkle with scallions, sesame seeds, and red cabbage (if using).
These Asian Lettuce Wraps are reminiscent of your favorite restaurant appetizer but packed with superfoods like quinoa, sweet potatoes, citrus fruit, and olive oil - and they're super easy to make at home!