Broccoli Caper Slaw
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds toasted
- 1⁄2 lemon juiced
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 tsp sea salt
- 1⁄4 cup dried currants
- 3 tbsp capers
- 3 tbsp ghee
- 2 lbs broccoli
- 3 scallions thinly sliced, green and white parts
- 1⁄4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- black pepper freshly ground
- Heat oven to 350°F. Use pre-toasted almonds or make your own: spread almonds on a dry, heavy skillet over medium-low heat, shaking the pan often and keeping a close eye so as not to burn. This should take about 3-4 minutes total, remove almonds and set aside.
- Put lemon juice, vinegar and sea salt in a small bowl. Add currants, let soak, and set aside.
- Drain capers and let sit on paper towels.
- Place ghee in a small skillet or saucepan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the capers so they are simmering. Cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Trim the ends of the broccoli stems, then chop into large pieces. Using the slicer attachment for the food processor*, slice the stems and the florets then add to a large bowl.
- Add the almonds, capers, scallions and parsley into the bowl. Use a fork to fish out the currants and add those to the broccoli mixture as well.
- Add 1⁄4 cup olive oil into remaining vinegar mixture (that currants were in) and whisk well. Pour over the broccoli mixture and turn gently to coat. Taste and adjust lemon, salt or pepper. This only gets better as it sits!
- *If you don’t have a food processor, use a hand slicer or manually slice with a knife. The thinner the better.
Broccoli has many powerful benefits. It's high in fiber and antioxidants, is a powerful detoxifier, and helps balance hormones. Make ahead tip: Cut broccoli in advance and keep in a sealed container in the fridge for 2-3 days (keep a wet paper towel on top to keep it extra fresh!).