Carrot + Cardamom Soup
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 leeks white and light green ends, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 stalk celery diced
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1½ lbs carrots scrubbed and cut into 1 inch chunks
- ½ apple cored and diced
- 1 inch fresh ginger peeled and minced
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- 32 oz broth organic veggie or chicken
- ½ cup full-fat coconut milk
- freshly ground black pepper
- fresh cilantro minced (optional for garnish)
- Add coconut oil to a saucepan over medium heat. Add the leeks, celery, and salt, and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the carrots, apple, ginger, and cardamom and stir until well coated. Pour in the broth and bring to a boil. Then turn heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes or until carrots are tender. Stir in the coconut milk and simmer for an additional two minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender and process until smooth or purée the soup directly in the pot with an immersion blender. Season with salt and pepper, add a drizzle of of coconut milk, and garnish with cilantro.
The spices in this version of carrot soup add a ton of flavor and are great for your immune system. Make ahead tip: The soup stores well covered in the fridge for 5-6 days or the freezer for months. Recipe by Nom Nom Paleo