Carrot Lentil Soup With Crispy Chickpeas
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or ghee
- 1 yellow onion small, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs carrots cleaned, ends removed and diced
- 32 oz organic broth (veggie or chicken)
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1⁄2 tsp ground coriander
- 1⁄2 tsp ground ginger
- 1⁄4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- sea salt to taste
- roasted chickpeas for topping (see The Best Roasted Chickpeas recipe)
- In a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat, add coconut oil or ghee. Once hot, add onion and garlic and saute for 5-7 minutes or until softened. Add diced carrots and stir to combine.
- Cook for 12 minutes then add broth, lentils, and spices/ herbs. Bring to a boil, then lower heat so soup is at a simmer and cover.
- Cook over medium-low heat until carrots are tender and softened, about 15-20 minutes. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender, let soup cool slightly, then add to a blender in batches and blend until smooth. Return the soup to the pot.
- Serve topped with crispy chickpeas and additional sea salt if needed.
A new twist on lentil soup, this one puts the emphasis on carrots which are good for the gut, good for the eyes and good for your immune system. The spices kick up the flavor without adding time in the kitchen. Make ahead tip: The soup stores well covered in the fridge for 5-6 days or the freezer for months, so make in advance and just add the spicy chickpeas (if using) before serving.