Chicken Tikka Masala – Slow Cooker
- 1 yellow onion medium sized, diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp ginger peeled and grated
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- fresh cilantro chopped, for garnish
- 28 ounce fire roasted diced tomatoes
- ¾ cup full-fat coconut milk
- 2 lbs organic boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 2 tbsp garam masala ¼
- In a medium skillet, sauté the onions and garlic in the coconut oil until softened, then stir in the ginger, tomato paste, and garam masala until fragrant. Turn heat off.
- Cut the chicken into 1 inch size pieces and transfer them to the slow cooker. Add the onion mixture, stir in the diced tomatoes with their juices and stir until well combined.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low. Fifteen minutes before the end of cooking, stir in the coconut milk. If you prefer a thicker sauce, leave the slow cooker uncovered and turn to high for the last 15 minutes. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Serve over cauliflower rice or brown rice with fresh cilantro sprinkled on top.
If you don't have garam masala, try this alternate spice blend:
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp coriander
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon