Chipotle Spaghetti Squash Bowl
- 1 spaghetti squash (4lb), halved and seeded
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt + extra for seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and minced
- 1 white onion minced
- 2 tsp sea salt divided
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 15 oz black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 avocado large, peeled and mashed
- 1 lime juiced
- fresh cilantro
- pico de gallo
- hot sauce optional
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Using a strong, sharp knife, carefully cut the squash(es) in half vertically and scoop out the seeds.
- Rub the inside flesh of the spaghetti squash with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon of salt. Place the cut sides down on a pan and roast for 12 minutes. Turn over so the cut side is facing up and bake for another 15-20 minutes or the until flesh is softened and will pull into strands when pierced with a fork. Be careful not to overcook. Remove from the oven, let cool slightly and use a fork to remove the strands. Divide equally among serving bowls.
- While the squash is cooking, heat the remaining olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the garlic, bell pepper, onion and 1 tsp of salt. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the remaining 1 tsp of salt, chili powder, cumin, and black beans, stirring to coat. Cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the black bean mixture on top of the spaghetti squash.
- Mash the avocado with the lime juice and a few pinches of salt. Divide the avocado mixture and add on top of the black beans. Top with salsa and hot sauce (optional)!
Want some additional protein? Add a poached or fried egg on top. Make ahead tip: Precook the spaghetti squash and reheat. Just be careful not to overcook it! Keep the beans and spaghetti squash separate in the fridge and throw them together when you’re ready to use. Always mash the avocado fresh. Beans and spaghetti squash last well in the fridge up to 4 days. Recipe by Heartbeet Kitchen