Creamy Mushroom “Risotto”
- 2 cups quinoa
- 3 ¼ cups organic broth (vegetable or chicken)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 inch ginger peeled and minced
- 2 cups crimini mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups shitake mushrooms sliced
- ¼ cup tamari
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 2 cups bok choy or spinach, chopped
- Rinse the quinoa in a fine mesh sieve. Use your hands to make sure the quinoa is thoroughly rinsed and cleaned. Try to get as much water as possible out of the quinoa, shaking and letting sit for a few minutes.
- Add the quinoa and the broth in a medium pot over high heat. Bring it to a boil, then immediately reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until all of the broth is absorbed.
- While the quinoa is cooking, melt the coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute the onion until softened, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic, ginger and mushrooms and continue to saute until the vegetables are tender, about 5 more minutes.
- Transfer half of the cooked veggies into a blender or food processor. Blend with the water and tamari to create a silky smooth sauce.
- When the quinoa is done cooking, scoop it into the saucepan with the veggies. Add the blended sauce and stir again. Add in the fresh bok choy or spinach and continue stirring until it’s wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste then serve warm.
Make ahead tip: This dish can be made in advance and stored in the fridge for 3-4 days or the freezer for two months. Alternatively, you can simply make the quinoa in advance and have that ready to add to the pan.