Cure Your Cold Chicken Soup
- 1 ½ lbs organic chicken thighs boneless, skinless
- 6 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 whole allspice
- 7 cups water
- 8 oz mushrooms maitake or shiitake, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 chile seeded and thinly sliced (use fresno for more mild flavor or jalapeno for hot)
- 1 inch ginger peeled, minced
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp tamari
- sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 green onions sliced thin
- ½ avocado pitted and diced, optional
- 1 lime juiced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- Place chicken, garlic, bay leaves, and allspice in a heavy, large pot. Cover with water and bring to a simmer over high heat. Quickly reduce the heat to medium-low, cover pot, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and let cool slightly. Shred the chicken using two forks or your hands. Strain the stock through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean pot and discard the solids.
- Add mushrooms, chile, ginger, vinegar, and tamari to the broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for approximately 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then return the shredded chicken and simmer until meat is just warmed through.
- Divide soup among bowls and serve garnished with green onion, avocado, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime!
Make ahead tip: Chicken can be poached a few days in advance. When ready to serve, reheat broth and cook mushrooms then add chicken. We love this served with some brown rice!