Easy Pizza Crust
- 1 1⁄4 cup buckwheat groats soaked for 1 hour or overnight
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 tbsp olive oil plus more for the cake pans
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1⁄2 tsp garlic powder or onion powder
- 1⁄2 tsp dried thyme
- sliced tomatoes
- fresh basil leaves
- roasted eggplant
- bell peppers
- organic sausage
- artichoke hearts
- hot peppers
- red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place two 8" or 9" cake pans or oven-proof skillets into the hot oven for 5 minutes.
- Rinse the buckwheat groats in a mesh colander. Combine groats, water, 1 tbsp olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic/ onion powder and thyme in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Remove the pans from the oven and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to each pan and spread around (or use olive oil/ coconut oil cooking spray).
- Pour the buckwheat batter into the pans and spread it evenly. Bake for 12 minutes, then flip the crusts and bake for 10 more minutes (or longer if needed to crisp). Remove from the oven and reduce temperature to 400°F.
- Place the crusts on a parchment lined baking sheet and cover with your desired toppings. Place pizzas back in the oven and bake for 10-15 more minutes or until toppings are cooked, being sure not to overcook crust.
Did somebody say pizza? Alright, listen, we know this isn’t the real deal. We wouldn’t lie to you. But this is a really great whole-food alternative that can hit the spot when you want that crispy, delicious vehicle for your favorite toppings. Make ahead tip: Make the batter ahead of time and keep in the fridge - it'll stay good for a few days!