Easy Pizza Crust
Serves: 2 pizzas
1 1⁄4 cup raw buckwheat groats, soaked for 1 hour or overnight
1/3 cup water
1 tablespoon olive oil plus more for the cake pans
Freshly ground black pepper – to taste
1⁄2 teaspoon garlic or onion powder
1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
Fresh basil leaves
Lightly sauteed bell peppers
Artichoke hearts Pesto
Hot peppers Olives
Red pepper flakes
1. Preheat oven to 450 F. Place two 8 or 9-inch cake pans or oven proof skillets into the hot oven for 5 minutes.
2. Rinse the buckwheat groats in a mesh colander. Combine groats, water, 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic/onion powder and thyme in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
3. Remove the pans from the oven and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to each pan and spread around (or use olive oil/coconut oil cooking spray).
4. Pour the buckwheat batter into the pans and spread it evenly. Bake for 12 minutes, then if the crusts and bake for 10 more minutes (or longer if needed to crisp). Remove from the oven and reduce temperature to 400 F.
5. Place the crusts on a parchment lined baking sheet and cover with your desired toppings. Place pizzas back in the oven and bake for 10-15 more minutes or until toppings are cooked, but don’t overcook crust.
Did somebody say pizza? Alright, listen, we know this isn’t the real deal. We wouldn’t lie to you. But this is a really great whole foods alternative that can hit the spot when you want that crispy, delicious vehicle for your favorite toppings. Make ahead tip: Make the batter and put it in the fridge, it will be ne for a few days! Use leftovers as your toppings...chicken curry pizza? Sure, why not.