Faux Alfredo Sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cup raw cashews soaked for at least 30 minutes
- 1 head cauliflower trimmed and cut into florets (about 3 cups)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or ghee
- 1⁄2 white or yellow onion small, diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 cup non-dairy milk of choice
- 1⁄2 lemon juiced
- 6 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Soak the cashews in water for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours. Discard the water when done.
- Using a steamer basket or the microwave, steam the cauliflower until just tender.
- While the cauliflower is steaming, heat the coconut oil or ghee in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté for about 3-4 minutes. Next add the garlic and cumin and sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the onion sauté, cauliflower, milk, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper into a food processor or high speed blender and blend until very smooth and creamy. Adjust liquid by adding more milk (or leftover cauliflower steaming water) if you prefer a thinner sauce.
- Season as needed with salt and pepper, then serve warm with your choice of food.
You won’t believe this is PN friendly. It’s creamy and reminds us of the good ol’ linguine alfredo days. It’s an extremely versatile sauce - ladle the sauce on top of spaghetti squash noodles, zucchini noodles, baked chicken, veggies, a grain bowl...whatever you prefer! Make ahead tip: This sauce can be made in advance and stored in the fridge for 3-4 days.