Fig and Date Brownies
- ½ cup raw walnuts
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa or raw cacao powder
- ¼ cup coconut palm sugar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 8 medjool dates pitted and coarsely chopped
- 6 dried figs stemmed and coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup canned coconut milk
- 2 tbsp coconut oil + extra for greasing pan
- ¼ cup shredded coconut unsweetened
- ⅓ cup applesauce
- Preheat oven to 325°F and grease an 8"x8” pan lined with foil or parchment paper with melted coconut oil.
- Blend walnuts in a food processor until ground. Add in the cacao, coconut palm sugar sugar, baking soda, and salt and pulse until well combined.
- Add in the dates, figs, coconut milk, coconut oil, shredded coconut, and applesauce and blend until it is a smooth batter.
- Transfer batter to greased pan and spread top evenly with the back of a rubber spatula. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool before cutting - tough but you can do it! Refrigerate after cooling, they are best after they have cooled completely.
Makes: 16 brownies These brownies not only tackle that chocolate craving, they also pack in gut-friendly fiber from the figs and applesauce. These are true "whole food" brownies. Make ahead tip: Bake these in advance and store in the fridge for 1 week or keep in the freezer and have single servings on hand!