Fig + Ginger Tagine
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 inches fresh ginger grated
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp ghee or coconut oil
- 2 lbs organic boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 ½ cups dried figs stems removed
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped, for garnish
- Add all the spices and broth to the slow cooker and whisk well. Add in the remaining ingredients (except for cilantro) and stir until well coated. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
- Use tongs or two forks to shred the chicken while still mixed in with the other ingredients (this will pick up all the great flavor). Taste and season with salt as needed.
- Serve with a sprinkle of cilantro and enjoy!
This is a crowd pleaser, even a kid pleaser. The sweetness from the figs goes so wonderfully with the middle eastern spices. It’s delicious over most whole grains or even just a bed of greens. Make ahead tip: This dish stores well in the fridge for 3-4 days, and freezes beautifully.