Herb Lentil Grain Bowl
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or ghee
- 1 white onion diced
- 2 carrots scrubbed and diced
- 1 shallot finely minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup dry lentils (green, brown, or French)
- 3-4 cups of water
- 4 cups arugula tightly packed
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups brown rice cooked
- ½ cup basil leaves packed, chopped
- ¼ cup parsley leaves packed, chopped
- Creamy Dijon Vinaigrette (see Creamy Dijon Vinaigrette recipe)
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Add coconut oil or ghee to a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, shallots, bay leaves and thyme. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the lentils and stir with the vegetables, cooking for just one minute. Add 3 cups of water and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to a very low simmer and cook uncovered for about 20-30 minutes or until the lentils are soft, but still hold their shape. Make sure the lentils remain covered in water - you may need to add more, which you can do in ½ cup increments.
- Once the lentils are done, add the arugula and salt and mix until wilted.
- Place brown rice into serving bowls, top with lentil and arugula mixture, and garnish each bowl with basil and parsley. Drizzle mustard dressing and gently stir to combine.
There's a ton of flavor in this bowl which comes from the anti-inflammatory herbs. Did you know that regular use of parsley can help control your blood pressure? It can also improve immunity, strengthen bones and heal the nervous system. Powerful stuff. Make ahead tip: Make this dish in advance and simply mix with the mustard dressing when ready to eat. Mixture lasts well in the fridge up to 5 days.