Herbed Chicken & Brussels Sprouts
- 6 cups brussels sprouts sliced
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp sea salt divided
- ground pepper to taste
- 2 organic eggs
- 3 tbsp fresh thyme leaves minced (about 1 bunch)
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 2 lbs chicken breasts or legs, skin on, bone in, cut into pieces
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or ghee
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with foil.
- In a large mixing bowl, add brussels sprouts with olive oil, 1 tsp of sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Toss well to coat, place on the baking sheet, and roast for 30-35 minutes, stirring halfway through, until browned and lightly charred.
- While brussels are cooking, whisk eggs in a small shallow dish. In another dish, whisk together almond flour, thyme, sage and the other teaspoon of sea salt.
- Pat the chicken dry. Dip the chicken in the whisked egg, let the excess drip off, then dredge in the almond meal mixture. Use your hands to make sure it’s coated well. Plate chicken and keep in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Remove the brussels sprouts from the oven then lower the heat to 350°F.
- In a skillet, add 2 tbsp coconut oil or ghee over medium heat. Once hot, add the chicken and cook each side for 5-6 minutes or until browned. Finish cooking in the oven for 5-7 minutes. Serve the chicken over the brussels sprouts.
Who says you need breadcrumbs to make an awesome chicken crust? Almond meal is the star of the show here; highlighted with herbs it gives the chicken a savory, delicious flavor. Pro-tip: Make sure your chicken is very dry before you dip in the egg mixture (ironic but it will help the breadcrumb mixture adhere).