Pear Cardamom Muffins
- 1 cup old fashioned oats, gluten-free
- 1 cup milk, any non-dairy
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cardamon
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup olive oil (avocado oil also works)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup fresh pears, ripe and diced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly spray or grease a muffin tin with oil. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine oats and milk. Let sit 15 minutes.
- In a second mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cardamom.
- Stir the oil, egg, brown sugar and vanilla into the soaked oat mixture. Add dry ingredients. Stir just until combined. Do not over mix. Gently fold pears into the batter.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared muffin tin. (If using the crunchy topping: Stir the butter and sugar until the brown sugar dissolves. Top the muffin batter evenly with the mixture.)
- Bake 12 minutes. Remove from the oven. Let the muffins cool in the pan 5 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack. Enjoy these muffins warm or freeze for later.
TIP: These muffins are best served warm. They also freeze and reheat incredibly well. To enjoy after freezing, thaw at room temperature or heat frozen muffins in a 375F oven for 15-20 minutes.