Roasted Root Veggies With Pine Nuts + Thyme
- 6 garlic cloves divided
- 2 sweet onions chopped
- 1 lb celery root celeriac, peeled and cubed*
- 1 ½ lbs delicata squash seeded and sliced 1” thick
- ½ lb beets any color, peeled and cubed
- 2 lbs carrots scrubbed and cubed
- ½ lb turnips scrubbed and cubed
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- ½ cup pine nuts
- ¼ cup ghee
- 2 tsp sea salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Line a large baking sheet with foil. You may need two depending on it’s size.
- Mince 2 of the garlic cloves and then leave the other cloves peeled but whole.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the minced and whole garlic, onion, root veggies, thyme sprigs, sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Mix well to coat.
- Add vegetable mixture to the baking sheet(s) and cook for 50 to 60 minutes. While the veggies are baking, toast the pine nuts in a dry skillet over low heat until golden, keeping a close eye so they don’t burn.
- Add the ghee to a saucepan over medium heat, let simmer until it begins to smell nutty (about 5-7 minutes), whisking often. Turn off the heat and set aside. Once the root veggies are done roasting, remove and toss with the ghee and toasted pine nuts. Serve and enjoy!
Roasted root veggies hit the spot, especially when you’re cutting back on grains. They really satiate that “carb” craving, are antioxidant powerhouses and essential for maintaining good energy levels. This colorful dish is simple yet delicious. Make ahead tip: These veggies can be prepared 1-2 days advance if kept in a sealed container in the fridge, then roasted when ready. They are also delicious as leftovers, lasting well in the fridge for 3-4 days.