Roasted Squash Salad
- 1 kabocha squash or small pumpkin, peeled and cut into 1” pieces. A tip to make squash easier to cut: place in the microwave for one minute before cutting.
- 1 bulb fennel sliced thin
- 2 garlic cloves whole and unpeeled
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil + 2 tbsp, divided
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 lemon juiced
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups baby spinach can use baby kale or other favorite hearty green
- ¼ cup dried cranberries unsweetened
- Preheat oven to 375° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss the pumpkin/squash cubes and fennel with the garlic cloves and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Place on a single layer on the baking tray. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove the garlic and turn the pumpkin/squash, baking for another 20 minutes or until tender and edges are nice and brown.
- For the dressing, peel the roasted garlic and blend in a blender or food processor with the lemon, pumpkin seeds, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss the greens with the dressing. Gently stir in the cooked pumpkin/squash and dried cranberries.
Squash and fennel are both extremely nourishing for the digestive tract. So dig in, you'll love this salad and this salad will love your body right back.