Sage, Sweet Potato, and Sausage Skillet
- 2 tbsp coconut oil divided
- 2 sweet potatoes small to medium / peeled and diced
- 1 apple peeled cored and diced
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp cinnamon optional
- 1 yellow onion small, diced
- 2 chicken sausages organic, casings removed, crumbled
- 6 sage leaves minced
- 3 cups spinach
- ground pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- In a nonstick skillet heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the sweet potatoes and apples, salt and cinnamon to the pan. Cook sweet potatoes and apples until cooked and softened and the sweet potatoes are slightly browned.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, heat another large skillet with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil over medium heat and add the onion, cooking for 2-3 minutes. Add the crumbled sausage (make sure you break down the larger pieces) and the minced sage. Cook until the sausage has browned and is no longer pink in the center. Add the spinach to the skillet and cook for 1-2 more minutes, stirring often.
- Add the sweet potato and apple mixture into the pan and stir to combine all. Add ground pepper to taste and salt if needed. Leftovers will store well in the fridge, simply reheat in a pan when you’re ready to eat.
There’s nothing like fresh sage cooked and combined with the flavors of sweet potato and sausage. This breakfast is a nice change of pace when you’re sick of oats, chia puddings and eggs. Its high protein and fiber content will keep you full for hours. A wonderful way to start a day.