Sausage + Kale Spaghetti Squash
- Spaghetti squash noodles see recipe
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil plus more for drizzling
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 ½ lbs organic turkey sausage or chicken Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 bunch kale center ribs removed and chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas thawed and drained
- sea salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ cup fresh Italian parsley leaves chopped
- 3 tbsp pine nuts
- Prepare the spaghetti squash noodles.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cumin and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the sausage sauté until it’s golden brown and cooked through. Get in there with a wooden spoon or back of fork - breaking up the sausage as much as you can. Cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring regularly, or until the sausage is browned and cooked through. Add the kale and peas and stir. Cook for a few minutes more to wilt the kale. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Toast the pine nuts in a hot, dry skillet for a few minutes - be sure not to burn. They cook quickly. Set aside.
- When the spaghetti squash has finished cooking and cooled enough to handle, scrape the insides of the squash with a fork to shred the squash into strands.
- Transfer the strands into the skillet with the sausage and toss well to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide the mixture among the squash shells, and then top with pine nuts and parsley to serve.
Make ahead tip: You can make the spaghetti squash noodles in advance (be sure to keep al dente) as well as the sausage mixture in advance, and saute together when you’re ready to serve! Both keep in the fridge for 4-5 days or in the freezer for 2 months.