Savory Steel Cut Oats
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup traditional steel cut oats
- 1 cup roasted root vegetables leftover cooked sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips
- 1 cup dark leafy greens loosely chopped (spinach, arugula, kale)
- 2 tbsp almond butter or tahini
- 2 tbsp walnuts
- 2 hard boiled eggs peeled and chopped
- In a small saucepan, bring 3 cups of water to a boil, whisk in the oats and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Side note: if you soak your steel cut oats overnight, it cuts the cooking time down to 15 minutes).
- Once the oats are cooked, stir in the roasted vegetables, leafy greens and almond butter or tahini until warm and wilted. Serve in bowls and top with walnuts and hard boiled egg.
Make ahead tip: This entire dish can be prepared in advance! Have a pot of pre-cooked oats in your fridge and reheat, and use leftover roasted root veggies to mix in. Preparing in that way, this recipe can be thrown together in less than 5 minutes.