Spiced Lentil Bake
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- 1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- 2 shallots minced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes
- 4 cups broth organic chicken or vegetable
- ½ tsp sea salt or to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- Italian parsley 1 bunch
- 4 organic eggs
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Rinse the lentils and split peas under running water. Drain and set aside.
- Add the ghee or coconut oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook for two minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional two minutes.
- Add the lentils, split peas, cumin and sun dried tomatoes and stir thoroughly.
- Add the broth or water and turn the heat to high. Bring the mixture to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer and cover the pan. Cook for 30 minutes or until the split peas are just tender. (The red lentils will break down much more). Remove from heat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir in the parsley.
- Mound about 1 cup of lentil mixture in 4 oven safe bowls or ramekins. Make a deep hollow in the center and crack in an egg.
- Bake for 19 to 23 minutes, or until the white is set and yolk is cooked to your liking. Enjoy while hot!
Make ahead tip: The best part of this flavor packed dish is that you can do up to step 5 in advance and store in the fridge (up to 5 days) or the freezer (2 months)! Bake with eggs when you’re ready to eat.