Spicy Sausage, Swiss Chard, and Bean Soup
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lbs organic chicken sausage or turkey spicy sausage, casings removed, crumbled
- 8 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 head Swiss chard roughly chopped
- 1 jalapeño seeded and diced
- 14 oz diced tomatoes peeled, canned with juices
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 sprigs rosemary minced or ½ teaspoon dried
- 30 oz garbanzo beans undrained
- 4 cups organic broth chicken or veggie, + more as needed
- 1 lemon juiced
- sea salt to taste
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1 avocado sliced
- Heat olive oil in a heavy, large stockpot oven over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and garlic and sauté until the sausage is golden brown and cooked through. Get in there with a wooden spoon or back of fork - breaking up the sausage as much as you can.
- Add in the chopped greens and jalapeno.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the canned tomatoes, cumin, rosemary and simmer 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the garbanzo beans (with their liquid) and the broth and bring to boil. Quickly reduce heat and simmer for 12 minutes. If you need more broth add additional.
- Stir in fresh lemon juice and season soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve soup garnished with fresh parsley and avocado. Serve hot!
Make ahead tip: This soup can be made in advance, simply wait to add the fresh basil until you serve. This soup stores beautifully in the fridge for 5 days or the freezer for months.