Spicy Thai Meatballs
- 1 lb organic ground chicken or turkey
- 2 shallots minced
- 3 green onions thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves minced, divided
- ginger 2 inch piece, peeled, grated and divided
- 1 jalapeno seeded and minced
- 3 tbsp red Thai curry paste divided
- 1 cup oat flour Blend 1 cup of oats in a blender or food processor to make this if you don’t have oat flour! Measure from the blended oats.
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp sea salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 limes juiced and zested
- 15 oz full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup organic broth chicken or veggie
- 4 cups spinach or bok choy, packed and chopped
- 2 cups cooked rice brown, black or wild rice, or coconut rice. Optional
- In a large mixing bowl, add the ground chicken or turkey, shallots, green onions, ½ the garlic, ½ the ginger, jalapeno, 1 tablespoon of curry paste, oat flour, cilantro, salt and ground pepper. Use your hands or to combine all of the ingredients together - make sure everything is well incorporated.
- Use your hands to form 1 ½ inch meatballs. Set aside on a plate.
- Heat the coconut oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the remaining garlic, ginger and curry paste cook for about 30 seconds. Stir in the lime zest, coconut milk, and broth and bring to a simmer.
- Place the meatballs into the pan, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, until the meatballs are cooked. Stir in the spinach or bok choy and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, until wilted.
- Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the lime juice, and add additional seasoning, as needed. Spoon over rice, cauliflower rice, or simply eat on their own!
Talk about meatballs with flavor! These meatballs are made with poultry so they hit the spot, but are light enough to not weigh you down. A delicious, sauc-y way to pack in some protein.