Thai Chicken Coconut Soup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion large, peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 bell peppers red, yellow or orange, seeded and sliced thinly
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms quartered
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 5 garlic cloves peeled and minced
- ginger 2" piece, peeled and minced
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes whole
- 64 oz organic broth chicken or veggie
- 2 cups shredded chicken cooked - Use our Go-To Chicken recipe or a store-bought rotisserie chicken, skin removed
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk canned
- 3 tbsp green thai curry paste
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- sea salt to taste
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves only, for garnish
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and bell peppers and cook till they begin to soften, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add the shiitake mushrooms and sesame oil and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, cherry tomatoes and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add broth, chicken, coconut milk, curry paste, and tamari. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for just a few minutes.
- Remove from heat, add the bean sprouts and stir to combine. Taste and add salt as necessary.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with cilantro and some hot sauce if you like an extra kick.
Ready to bring some new flavors into the house? Goodbye boring chicken veggie soup. This soup packs in cancer preventative mushrooms, belly loving ginger and metabolic booster coconut. Feel proud about diving into this dish. Make Ahead tip: The soup stores well covered in the fridge for 5-6 days or the freezer for months, so make in advance and just get some fresh cilantro for garnish when your’e ready to eat.