Tostada Salad With Pickled Onions
- 1 red onion small, thinly sliced
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 4 organic corn tortillas
- 4 tbsp olive oil divided
- cayenne pepper to sprinkle
- 5-6 romaine hearts chopped
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 avocados diced
- 4 radishes sliced thin
- ½ cup raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 3-4 limes juiced
- Go-to chicken (see Go-To Chicken recipe) or pre-cooked shrimp
- sea salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Place sliced onions in a jar or bowl and cover with vinegar. Set aside.
- Place corn tortillas on a foil lined baking sheet, drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil (total) evenly rubbed into each tortilla. Sprinkle with cayenne pepper then bake for 5-8 minutes or until browned and crispy. Set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl add chopped romaine, black beans, avocado, radish, pumpkin seeds. Drizzle with remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil and lime juice over the salads and season with salt and pepper. Mix well to coat. Add chicken or shrimp if using and mix again.
- Break up tortillas into bite size pieces and sprinkle over salad. Top with the pickled red onion and season with sea salt and a dash of cayenne. Serve immediately and enjoy!
A healthy way to get your Mexican food fix, this salad is easy as long as you’ve got your ingredients on hand! Add chicken if you want to make it a protein rich meal (no longer vegetarian) Pro-tip: Make this your own! Add cilantro, use different beans, add some heat with chopped jalapeno...get wild.... we just draw the line at tequila shots. Make ahead tip: Make the pickled onions in advance, they store well in the fridge for 2-3 days.