Zucchini + Mushroom Thai Soup
- 2 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- 4 large shallots thinly sliced
- ½ tsp sea salt + more to taste
- 3 tbsp green curry paste
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk divided
- 4 zucchini medium, cubed
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 1 stalk lemongrass cleaned and chopped
- 2 cups organic broth (vegetable or chicken)
- 1 cup organic firm tofu cubed
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 cups brown rice cooked, or wild rice
- 4 tbsp fresh basil chopped (optional)
- ¼ cup cashews or sliced almonds, chopped (toasted if available)
- Heat the ghee or oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and salt and sauté until the shallots are soft, about 4-6 minutes.
- Add in the green curry paste with 2 tbsp of the coconut milk. Sauté for 1-2 minutes, then stir in the zucchini, mushrooms and lemongrass and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the remaining coconut milk and the broth and let everything come up to a boil, then lower heat to the lowest setting and cook for five more minutes. Remove from heat, and if using tofu add to the dish now. Add in lime juice and season to taste with salt.
- Add a scoop of rice in each serving bowl and ladle soup over it. Sprinkle with fresh basil and nuts and enjoy!
Make ahead tip: This soup can be made in advance. Simply wait to add the fresh basil and nuts until you serve. This soup stores beautifully in the fridge for 5 days or the freezer for months.