- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 yellow onion diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 15 oz white beans rinsed and drained
- 15 oz diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 apple
- 1⁄2 cup organic broth (chicken or veggie)
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat and cook the onion until it begins to turn translucent, about 5-6 minutes. Add the garlic and smoked paprika and stir until well coated, cooking for another 1 minute.
- Add the drained beans, diced tomatoes, molasses, vinegar, maple syrup, tamari, rosemary and apple and stir. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Add the broth and let simmer uncovered for 20-25 minutes.
We adapted this recipe from our favorite vegan cooks and bloggers, Thug Kitchen. This recipe skips the traditional added ketchup and sugars you’ll find in conventional baked beans, and instead gets its sweetness from whole food sweeteners and the apple. Serve this up alongside our black bean burger and you have yourself a PN-approved summer barbeque. Make ahead tip: Make this in advance then heat in a skillet or saucepan when you’re ready to enjoy!