Black Bean Burgers With Parsnip French Fries
- 1 lb parsnips peeled and sliced into sticks (fries)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 30 oz black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ tsp ground mustard powder
- 3 tbsp organic mayo
- 1 tbsp whole ground mustard
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large mixing bowl, add parsnip fries with olive oil and toss well until all parsnip fries are coated. Season with paprika, salt and pepper and toss again to coat well.
- Add to baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, then crank the heat to 475° and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until crisped and browned.
- Add the black beans, onion, garlic, spices, maple syrup and almond our to a food processor and pulse until everything is just blended. You still want to have some texture to these burgers so don’t overblend.
- Use your hands to create 4 large or 6 medium patties with the burger mix. Place patties in the fridge (this can be done in advance).
- When the fries are done, lower heat to 375° and bake the burgers on a parchment lined baking sheet for 20 minutes, then broil for 5 minutes or until browned.
- Mix the mayo and mustard and serve with the burgers and fries.
Try our DIY Mayonnaise instead of store-bought for this recipe! Make ahead tip: Make the patties and place in the fridge for 3-4 days or the freezer for months.