5 lbs organic, skinless chicken pieces (or 2 small chickens quartered - you can leave skin on if you prefer)
7 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon sea salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
¼ cup red wine vinegar
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
½ cup pitted prunes
10 large or 16 small pitted Spanish green olives (cut large olives in half)
¼ cup capers with a bit of juice
3 bay leaves
1/3 cup white wine
2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
1. In a large bowl combine garlic, oregano, salt and pepper to taste, vinegar, olive oil, prunes, olives, capers with caper juice, and bay leaves.
2. Add the chicken pieces and coat completely with the marinade. Cover and marinate, refrigerated, several hours or overnight.
3. Preheat oven to 350 F. Arrange chicken in a single layer in one or two large, shallow baking pans and spoon marinade over it evenly. Pour white wine around them.
4. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, basting frequently with the pan juices. Chicken is done when thigh pieces, pricked with a fork at their thickest point, yield clear yellow juice (not pink).
5. With a slotted spoon, transfer chicken, prunes, olives, and capers to a serving platter over your side of choice. We love this served with Creamy Garlic Faux Tatoes or brown rice. Add some of the pan juices and sprinkle with parsley.
This is the Silver Palate classic that’s worth revisiting PN style. Chicken Marbella is an incredible mix of unexpected ingredients that delivers a sweet, savory, and ultimately satisfying meal. You’ll want to serve this over grains or cauliflower rice to make the most out of the delicious sauce. Make ahead tip: this dish can be made in advance and stored in the fridge for up to 2 days, then reheated when ready to serve! Leftovers do well in the fridge for up to 4 days, or in the freezer for months.