- 3 tbsp raw hazelnuts
- 12 dates pitted
- ¼ cup coconut oil melted
- 3 organic eggs whisked
- 3 tbsp molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup raw cacao or unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- pinch sea salt
- ½ cup cacao nibs
- extra coconut oil for greasing pan
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a square baking dish with parchment paper or grease with coconut oil.
- Place the hazelnuts in a food processor and blend until they are finely ground. Add the pitted dates and and process until they are sticky and form a sticky paste.
- Add the melted coconut oil, eggs, molasses and vanilla and puree until smooth. You may need to scrape the sides down and mix a few times to prevent clumping.
- Add the cocoa, coconut flour, spices, baking soda, baking powder and salt and puree until completely combined and smooth. Fold in the cacao nibs.
- Pour the brownie mixture into the baking dish and smooth out with a back of a spoon or spatula.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Let cool before cutting.
We adapted these from one our favorite food bloggers, PaleOMG. The spices and molasses give these brownies that delicious gingerbread flavor and the hazelnuts add a nice nutty crunch. Add some whipped cream (see Coconut Whipped Cream recipe) and you’ve got yourself a 5 star dessert. Make ahead tip: These last well in a sealed container for 3-4 days, if they last that long! Can also store in the fridge or freezer for longer. Makes: 12 brownies