Green Rice Bowl with Peas + Pesto
- 2 cups brown rice
- 4 cups organic broth (vegetable or chicken)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil or ghee
- ½ onion yellow or white, peeled and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 lemon zest and juice, divided
- 2 cups baby spinach or baby Swiss chard
- 1 ½ cups peas fresh or frozen
- ½ cup fresh basil chopped
- pepper to taste
- 1 cup Broccoli Pesto (see Broccoli Pesto recipe)
In a large pot, begin cooking the brown rice according to package instructions but instead of water use broth. Cover and simmer until finished, about 40 minutes.
While the rice is cooking, heat the oil or ghee over medium-high heat and add the onion and cook until it begins to become translucent, about 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and salt; cook for another two minutes.
Add lemon juice, spinach, peas, and basil and stir well to combine. Cook for about 2 additional minutes or until lemon juice is evaporated. Add this mixture to the finished brown rice and stir; then add the pesto and lemon zest and mix well. Serve warm or cold.