Moroccan Quinoa Bowl
- 1 ½ cups quinoa
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 1 shallot minced
- 2 tsp ground curry
- 1 tsp honey or pure maple syrup
- 1 bunch mint leaves chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped
- 3 tbsp currants or raisins
- 2 avocados pitted and cut into 1 inch squares
- 4 green onions thinly sliced
- ½ cup almonds dry roasted or slivered
- Cook the quinoa using one part quinoa to two parts liquid. Bring water to a boil and add 1 tbsp of ground cinnamon into the cooking water. Whisk in quinoa and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes. While the quinoa is cooling, in a small bowl whisk the olive oil, lemon zest and juice, shallot, curry and honey or maple syrup. Pour over quinoa and stir well to coat.
- Add the mint, cilantro, currants/ raisins, avocado, and green onion into the quinoa and toss until everything is well incorporated. Serve in bowls garnished with the almonds.
This is a really satisfying grain bowl we adapted from Green Kitchen Stories. The spices add a ton of flavor and also have powerful anti-inflammatory properties. Did you know cinnamon can help regulate your weight and control blood sugar levels? Make ahead tip: Make the quinoa in advance, or use leftover quinoa from another meal - since it likely won’t have cinnamon in it just add a hearty pinch to the dressing!