Mushroom + Lentil Tacos
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil divided
- 3 cups mushrooms cleaned and chopped - we like crimini and shiitake
- sea salt to taste
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 shallots sliced thin
- 1 cup lentils cooked
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika or smoked paprika
- 1 cup Creamy Tahini Dressing (see Creamy Tahini Dressing recipe)
- 2 cups arugula
- 6 organic corn tortillas
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large pan over medium-low heat. Add mushrooms, salt, and pepper, and cook until brown and fragrant, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Place mushrooms on a plate and set aside.
- In the same saucepan over medium heat, add the shallots and garlic and cook for 5-6 minutes or until softened. If using pre-cooked lentils, throw them into the pot now and skip to step 4.
- If making your own lentils, rinse 1⁄2 cup of lentils in a mesh colander, drain well, transfer to a saucepan, and pour in 1 cup of water. Bring the water to a rapid simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to a very gentle simmer. Cook, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes.
- Pour the other 2 tbsp olive oil into the pan with the shallots and garlic and reduce heat to very low. Add the cooked lentils, cumin, paprika and a sprinkle each of salt and pepper. Stir well to coat the lentils with spices. Add the mushrooms back to the pan and mix to combine.
- Warm the tortillas over the stove top or in the microwave wrapped in a kitchen towel to keep them soft. Spread a spoonful of the tahini sauce, the mushroom lentil mixture, arugula and another dollop of sauce.
If you buy pre-cooked lentils and make the tahini sauce in advance, this recipe should take you all of 10 minutes. These tacos are full of flavor and completely plant-based!