Sausage + Tahini Squash Bowl
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 lb sausage we used ‘brat’ type sausages but ground sausage would be delicious too
- 1 stripetti squash
- ½ cup tahini
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice about 2 lemons
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cut the stripetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Season with oil/fat of choice and salt and pepper. Place the cut side down on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° F for 30-40 minutes. Note: the shell of the squash does not soften as much as classic spaghetti squash – just want to make sure you don’t overcook it!
- Place tahini, lemon juice, garlic, onion powder, and sea salt in a high speed blender or food processor and blend on high until completely smooth. Add water if needed to thin, it will thicken as it chills. Set aside.
- Slice the sausage if using links. In a saucepan over medium heat, sauté onions in 1 Tbsp oil (we used avocado oil) for 3-5 minutes. Add sausages and cook until sausages are browned on each side.
- When squash is done cooking, remove from oven and let cool enough to handle. Scrape the ‘noodles’ aka strings from the inside of the shell.
- Build bowls by starting with squash, topping with sausage and onion mixture and finally topping with tahini.
- Eat up!
This simple meal combines some of our favorite flavors. This will become a staple in your home! Mark our words.