This skillet dish is the perfect Thanksgiving teaser (maybe it’s just me but anything with sage reminds me of Thanksgiving). It’s quick to prepare and is super filling and satisfying thanks to the fiber, protein, and healthy fats it contains. Enjoy for breakfast or for dinner!
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, divided
- 2 sweet potatoes (small to medium), peeled and diced
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and diced
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp cinnamon, optional
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 organic chicken sausages, casings removed, crumbled
- 6 sage leaves, minced
- 3 cups spinach
- Ground pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- In a nonstick skillet heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the sweet potatoes and apples, salt and cinnamon to the pan. Cook sweet potatoes and apples until cooked and softened and the sweet potatoes are slightly browned.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, heat another large skillet with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil over medium heat and add the onion, cooking for 2-3 minutes. Add the crumbled sausage (make sure you break down the larger pieces) and the minced sage. Cook until the sausage has browned and is no longer pink in the center. Add the spinach to the skillet and cook for 1-2 more minutes, stirring often.
- Add the sweet potato and apple mixture into the pan and stir to combine all. Add ground pepper to taste and salt if needed. Leftovers will store well in the fridge, simply reheat in a pan when you’re ready to eat.
Trick-or-Treat: Your Guide to Trader Joe’s Fall Items
As with most Trader Joe’s items, not all autumnal-flavored treats are created equal. We’ve broken down some of this year’s fall foods to help you skip the sugary, processed, downright spooky “tricks” and choose healthy(er) “treats” instead.Read More