Creamy + Crunchy Garlic Kale Salad
- 15 oz garbanzo beans rinsed and drained
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 8 cups kale dino or lacinato, sliced into thin ribbons (center ribs removed)
- 1 ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 avocado sliced
- Creamy Roasted Garlic Dressing (see Creamy Roasted Garlic Dressing recipe)
- 1 lb chicken thighs (see Go-To Chicken recipe) or grilled tofu, tempeh or shrimp
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Thoroughly dry the garbanzo beans (and by dry we mean DRY). Add drained/ dry garbanzo beans to a mixing bowl and toss with olive oil, spices and salt.
- Place seasoned garbanzo beans on a baking sheet. *If making the creamy garlic salad dressing at the same time, roast the garlic cloves with the garbanzo beans!
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the garbanzo beans are slightly crispy and golden brown.
- While the garbanzo beans are cooking, soak the sliced onion in red wine vinegar. When the garbanzo beans are done, remove from the oven and set aside.
- Add the kale to a large mixing bowl. Before adding dressing, add lemon juice to the kale and massage with hands, breaking down the kale. Add dressing and toss well to coat, or continue to use hands.
- Drain the onion and pat dry. Top the salad with the sliced onions, garbanzo beans, avocado and chicken. Drizzle a little more dressing and enjoy!
Make ahead tip: This salad can be prepped in advance. The onions can be stored in the fridge a day in advance, the dressing made in advance and the chickpeas kept in an airtight container at room temperature. Dress right before serving.